Sorry For This Off Topic Post But

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by NWSneaky, Jun 4, 2005.

1. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

I spent a lot of time in Aruba and as a father to young gals, this hurts; really hurts:

Jun 4, 05 - 5:17 PM
    Message: ORANJESTAD, Aruba - Three men who said they dropped off an Alabama teenager at her hotel have emerged as "the most important lead" in the honor student's disappearance on this Dutch Caribbean island, police said Saturday.

Police, Dutch troops and hundreds of volunteers scouring coastline and beaches for six days have found no trace of Natalee Holloway, 18.

Deputy police chief Gerold Dompig said authorities were investigating the background and story of two Surinamese men and a native of the Netherlands who said they dropped her off at the Holiday Inn before dawn Monday.

Dompig declined to call the men suspects, saying they were "persons of interest," but said the men were "the most important lead."

"We are working diligently," Dompig said. "I want everybody to hold their breaths for the next 24 hours. There will be developments after this weekend."

An official close to the investigation said the three men — legal Aruban residents between the ages of 18 and 25 — told police they had taken Holloway to a beach at the northwestern tip of Aruba before dropping her off at the hotel.

But her uncle, Paul Reynolds, said he was told security cameras did not show Holloway returning to the hotel that night. Police declined to comment on that report.

Holloway was on a five-day excursion with 124 seniors and several chaperones from Mountain Brook High School, near Birmingham, Ala. She spent the last night of her vacation eating and dancing at Carlos 'N Charlie's bar and restaurant.

She didn't show up for her return flight, and police found her passport in her hotel room with her packed bags.

"Natalee's bags were packed and she's ready to go home," her mother, Beth Holloway Twitty, told a news conference. "Please help bring her home."

Holloway, a straight-A student, had earned a full scholarship at the University of Alabama and planned to study premed, Reynolds said. He described his niece as a levelheaded girl who would not have done anything rash, although he also said she had an almost childlike side, too.

"Natalee's naive. She hasn't dated a lot. She doesn't party a lot," said Reynolds. Holloway attends church regularly and wouldn't ever run away, he said.

In the Mountain Brook yearbook, Holloway's senior quote came from the old Lynyrd Skynyrd song "Freebird." It says: "If I leave here tomorrow, would you still remember me? For I must be traveling on now, there's too many places I haven't seen."

In Mountain Brook, Ala., dozens of Holloway's friends and classmates attended an afternoon prayer vigil Saturday. "The entire community is very concerned and very much in prayer," said the city manager, Sam Gaston.

Ten more FBI agents joined the search Saturday for the girl, Attorney General Caren Jansse said. "We need more technical assistance," she said, declining to elaborate.

2. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

What kind of parent sends their naive teenage daughter to go barhopping in a foreign country????
    Dont people have any sense at all?
    What a tragic story.

BooBoo

3. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Um....this is a CLASS trip, she is 18. There are 124 other seniors and chaperones with her.
    She is a straight A student.

Where on EARTH do you get that her parents sent her off to go barhopping??
    People have a right to believe their children will be safe on a school trip, you make it sound like the parents PACKED her up and said "GO hang out in bars by yourself"
    Jeez! :no:

4. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

From what I have read it wasn't a exactly a school sponsored trip. More of an unofficial thing.

Unfortunately she is more than likely dead by now. She made some really bad choices and it got her killed. She went to a foreign country to party, was probably drunk, got into a car with three strange men and she was evidently either so naive or intoxicated that she thought that nothing would happen -or- she knew something would happen and then decided she didn't want to go through with it -or- didn't want to go through with it with all three of them at once. We'll probably never know unless they find a body and can sort out the DNA.

It never amazes me that people are somehow astounded when 1+2 still equals 3 and are equally amazed that C follows A and B.

5. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

Im not too far from Mtn Brook. Anyway every year thousands of seniors that have recently graduated from high school go off on trips with other graduating seniors on what is basically Spring Break part 2. Thats right folks. Kids that had to be home by midnight one week because they arent old enough or responsible enough to stay out past midnight are turned loose in Florida,Bermuda,Aruba etc etc with little if any guidance. Most are just a few kids with absolutely no ''adults'' along just partying their little butts off. This girl was "an experienced traveller" according to her parents. At 18 I dont see that. I am more than twice that age. Served in the military and in foreign countries to boot. I still have to be extremely careful when travelling abroad and I am just a ugly ol feller and not some really pretty 18 year old wealthy girl. If she is such an ''experienced traveller" as her parents are stating, then why was she riding around ALONE with THREE local guys she met a couple days earlier?

Sending or allowing these kids to run off like this ranks right up there with all the parents who take a fifteen year old with little to no driving experience and newly acquired "learners permit" and stick them in a Mustang GT ,Vette etc and act all suprised when little darling kills them and a couple of their buddies in it. They cant be responsible enough to take out the trash but hey why dont we throw em in a hot rod with no experience and expect perfect behaviour and driving ability.

A couple of people are responsible for what has happened to the girl. Her parents and the sicko that has undoubtedly raped and murdered her by now.

6. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

Actually this was not a class trip. These students and paretns planned this activity privately and in my opinion foolishly. Kids this young and inexperienced in the ways of the world should not be traveling to foreign countries to party. Her parents are paying a high price for their own shortsightedness.

7. Shygal

Does ANYONE HERE see the main point? This WOMAN was 18 years old. A legal adult.

WHY IS EVERYONE BLAMING THE PARENTS? This is a legal adult that could have gone there any damn time she wanted to, whether her parents said yes or no, jeez!!!

8. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

WHY is this NOT in GENERAL CHAT! :(

Is it me or is general chat post somehow creeping into the Homesteading question forum?

9. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

I was 18 almost my entire Senior Year, but since I was still dependent upon my parents for financial support and I respected thm I stll followed their household rules and guidence. They would not have financed or endorsed my vacationing out of the country wthout a personal chaperone. It is an unfortunate tragedy that has befallen this family but perhaps it will save other kids by making their parents think twice before orgainizing and bankrolling such an excursion.

10. Shygal

I think its because this forum is right on the top, when someone comes to this site.
    General chat is WAY down to the bottom, and some people dont look that far.

11. Oilpatch197

Okay, maybe the Livestock forums is making the list too long, hmm If I was running this place I would put the specialty forums up toward the top, since it is the 2nd most popular catagory, just my humble opinion.

I like forums that are organized(and perhaps the Livestock forums made things out of kelter) since the livestock forums, I've noticed things getting out of hand.

12. centexguy

centexguy Well-Known Member

I see post all the time that have nothing to do with homesteading and nobody says anything. The heading says "off topic". Move on and get a life. This is a free country.

13. Oilpatch197

It's a free country, WITH RULES, you break the rules you pay with punishment.

If a cop stoped you for speeding and you told the cop, "sorry for driving over 55mph, officer, BUT!" you just admitted your guilt.

you get a ticket as punishment.

..and I see people SPEED all the time, and nobody says anything.

14. crystalniche

crystalniche Well-Known Member

I just heard the news and it does not look very good at all for this girl. They are holding 2 men and have found a bloody mattress. Oh, I hope that they are wrong. Who among us did not do something very dumb as a teen? Granted most of us lived thru it but still, teens do things that aren't too good to do. I guess that I'm just feeling bad about all of this.

15. Oilpatch197

Yeah, we've all done stupid things in life(like driving 65mph past a horse that esaped out of the field, luckly I didn't hit it)

But kids should be well protected by the parents, I know I was, and kept me away from stupid stuff(like underage drinking)

Perhaps since the Moral decay of America during the 90's have really allowed kids to do more immoral stupid stuff.

16. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm just as guilty. I never post or read General Chat, I never think to look down there. So, seeing as how you've posted shouting in all caps, maybe I'd better start or you'll yell at me too.

17. roughingit

roughingit knitwit

It's scary down there!

Yet I still read....it's like a train wreck, you just can't help but look while passing by!

18. Oilpatch197

LOL General Chat is SO POLITICAL! :p

19. centexguy

centexguy Well-Known Member

So who made you the cop of HT. You sound like a real control freak.