Sorry for another kitten ?, but I need help quick :)

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jeannie242, Jul 7, 2005.

1. jeannie242

jeannie242 Well-Known Member

Came home from a nice camping trip away, to discover the stray cat the has been hanging out lately gave birth to 3 kittens in some tall grass.
    It seems the neighbor almost mowed over them.
    Anyway, he wants them moved and could care less if he takes them out to the dumpster or for a long ride along with the momma cat.
    Although we have never had cats, we are softies for any animal.
    So here is my question...Can we move them to our porch in a box and let the momma continue to care for them until they are weaned?
    If we move them from the grass to the porch in a box enclosed by a large kennel so that nothing else can get them, will she still nurse them?
    Once they are weaned a brother in law will take all of them at his farm.
    Help..We have goldens so bringing them inside is out of the question.
    Thanks for any help. Jeannie

2. Topaz Farm

Topaz Farm Well-Known Member

Are you going to be able to catch the momma cat? Hope so. You will have to put her and the kittens in something that she can't get out of, or she will move them.

3. Mawna

Mawna Well-Known Member

Yep you can do this, but if that ol' Momma Cat can move her kittens again she will do it, because you have disturbed her little haven for her babes. And yes if she is a good Momma and has been taking care of them then she will continue to do so.

Do you have a garage or shed. Your best bet would be to move them all in there. BUT be careful old Ma being a stray. She can tear you clean up if she thinks you are out to hurt her babies. And they babies can issue severe bites also if they are not used to humans at.

4. Yvonne

Yvonne Well-Known Member

You should be okay with moving them. Most outside cats move kittens from the birthing area at least once to get them away from birthing odors that would attract toms and other predators.

If she fells safe she'll stay put.

5. jeannie242

jeannie242 Well-Known Member

Yes, the momma cat will follow my husband anywhere. But she runs from me.
    He went up today and tried to lift the babies, to move them and before he even got his hand close to them, this sweet momma cat hissed at him. HAHA
    So he walked away and said he would try tomorrow.
    In the meantime, I reminded the man who owns the land with the tall grass, that we watch after his dog when he goes away, and give her food and water when he can't get back out here to do so on occasion, and then threw in the fact that when his sweet dog got off the chain it was Us that got him and kept him safe until he got home.
    Then I said WE would really like to leave the cat and her kittens alone for a few more days since they don't even have their eyes open yet.
    Suddenly he became easier to work with and said oh just leave them for a few days, they will be ok.
    So now we are just wondering if we should wait until the momma cat walks away to eat then pick up the babies and move them while she watches?
    We just don't want to mess things up. Thanks for any advice. Jeannie

6. CaptainAstro

CaptainAstro New Member

However you catch them - and perhaps a live trap would be best way to do this, that's what my wife uses - be sure and get the females fixed. Otherwise there will be generation after generation of them. If you have a local humane society they can probably help with this.