Sorry.... But I just have to gloat!

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by allenslabs, Apr 23, 2005.

1. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

I just wanted to have a brag moment. When milking tonight I was feeding cricket the calf w/ my 2 yr old son and I looked over at Annie who was finishing her feed and thought "I just love my life!!" And I REALLY do!! I love that big cow who has ACTUALLY taken a liking to me. She lets me scratch her head and neck now and used to hate it. She listens to me when I say whoa and back and step back to move her foot. Not bad either for 3 weeks. And then I have this adorable little steer that I feed and watch him grow and hop around while he's waiting on me to get the cow milked. My kids can go out w/ me now while I milk and Annie is ok w/ it and everything. Then after the cow is done and put away I go to the goat barn and milk the goat and the kids (human ones! HAHA!) run around and play w/ the goat kids and the cats and all and then I walk to the house and smell the pretty air and just think.... I LOVE THIS!! I'm sure that others here have that same feeling but I just wanted to let that out. :p

2. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

"She lets me scratch her head and neck now and used to hate it."

I doubt she hated it, I will bet you it was trust. Cows love their head scratched, especially behind their crown. Under their neck is another good spot. When they don't know they dont know what your intentions are. Any of the ones I bought this past winter were not friendly, actually 10 of them were very skiddish. Now I can go up to most of them and they won't shy away. A couple are still skiddish, but that is their nature. My mother has been reading this book, and she told me this author said there is something about cows, being around them. In India the cow is sacred, interesting choice.

Jeff

3. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

You're talking to the right crowd here. I'm SMITTEN with my gal and everyone else that meets her seems to understand why. I'm also extremely grateful that even though I don't have much land, that God has given me the opportunity to fill my heart with all the good things you've mentioned. The hard work sure feels good, too! Of course the icing on the cake is getting to fill my brain with all the cow sense that exists on this board and check in to see how everyone and their cattle are doing. One last comment... isn't spring great??!!

4. allenslabs

Yes I love spring. Today though.... not so much. It was 75 yesterday and it's about 45-50 today and VERY windy and it rained yesterday evening and today and so it's very nasty.
    Yes this board is very wonderfuL! I love having actual hands on knowledge right at my fingertips! Actually I love this site all together! It's so nice to have people like me who love animals and homesteading and baking and stuff all in one place!

5. HoosierDeb

HoosierDeb Well-Known Member

You're lucky it's that warm where you are... here in northern part of the state it's only 36, windy and spitting rain... just plain nasty. I am very jealous of your little herd of cattle. I really want a milk cow and some Highland cattle... maybe next year.

6. allenslabs

Oh man sorry Deb. Yeah it's just fun in IN huh? It was 40 when I went to town earlier. I thought it was warmer by what the tv said as I've just been out to milk and I didn't bother looking at the gauge. Makes me think ..... Oh lordy! I have to do this milkin in freezing temps ALL WINTER!! I must say..... that doesn't sound too enticing. But I do love my cow.... don't wanna sell her.... don't want her to be a nurse cow as her udder is already low.... so..... that's all that I can do is milk her! HAHA!! Can't have it all I guess huh? Unless you're like my inlaws who live in IN in the summer and FL in the winter. Don't think the critters would like the trip though. LOL!

7. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

:D :D :D

Of course it's about 30 degrees here and SNOWING!!! (in April!) but yeah, I can relate ... :)

8. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Well, its not out of the ordinary for it to snow into May in the Great Lakes state, and Northeast.

LANSING...

11.5 INCHES - MAY 9 1923
    4.3 INCHES - APRIL 25 1976
    4.0 INCHES - MAY 1 1866
    3.0 INCHES - MAY 1 1875
    2.8 INCHES - APRIL 24 1980
    2.4 INCHES - MAY 2 1929
    2.0 INCHES - MAY 10 1902
    1.0 INCHES - APRIL 25 1977

It's happened before, look at May 10th, heck may 9th with 11.5". The entire state received snow that date in 1923. Saint Marie only received 5.5". Either way, it is not uncommon, it sucks! but it's not abnormal. Now if it was Georgia, it would be a freak.

Oh and I love the 1923 date, boy that global warming has us in a bind, we are supposed to get rain not snow. Heck, it seems as cold as 1923 before global warming was invented..

Jeff

9. genebo

genebo Well-Known Member Supporter

Add my name to the list of those who "just love my life!!"

I've never been more content that when I'm surrounded by my critters. I don't have a one here that isn't gentle. I get a special feeling when these animals trust me to inspect their hoof or scratch their back.

I have 11 Dexters, 8 goats and about a jillion chickens, ducks and guineas. Eggs, anyone?

Genebo
    Paradise Farm

10. allenslabs

Well the black heifer I was waiting to calve did!! She had a little black bull calf! He is of course darling and growing well. I guess she had him sat or MAYBE sunday. She seems to be a good mama and he is full of it so that's good!! I thank the LORD she had him ok too as she is a chi angus and had some slim hips and really worried me but she did it all by herself. Thank HEAVENS!!