Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have aquestion have a young calf 4months old had a lump under neck today one of my goats hit it and broke it up. Alot of yellow thick drainage and the top layer of skin came off. No temp, eat good, and no bathroom problems. How do I treat it or leave alone. Does she need meds hate to use if not needed. I have isolated her and spraied with first aid spray. Any help would? Oh she is a black angus and we dont plan on eat her going to use to bred. Memajar

·
Retired Coastie
5,149 Posts
If she's manageable squeeze out all the pus and flush out the wound with iodine. Do this again the follow day and then leave it alone....Topside

·
Retired farmer-rancher
3,022 Posts
If she's manageable squeeze out all the pus and flush out the wound with iodine. Do this again the follow day and then leave it alone....Topside
Should work, be sure to flush it out good with the iodine.

·
Udderly Happy!
2,866 Posts
A large syringe with the needle removed works really well for flushing out an abcess. Just irrigate it really well for a couple of days. If the pus won't readily come out, you can use a very warm wet soapy rag placed on the area for a while to help it out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks just did it hopefully it helps she is a little sweety and big baby had my 10 dd hold her and she stood right there for her. Will do it for the next few days and let you know how it goes. Thanks again got a faster response from you guys then vet no answer or call back yet, last time I needed her got call back next day.

·
Retired Coastie
5,149 Posts
Do what you want, but I'd just do the flushing once more, tomorrow. Each time you squeeze the wound for pus you aggrevate the healing process...JMO...Sounds like you have a fine heifer there....Topside

1 - 6 of 6 Posts