Sore Mouth Remedy?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Barb Marks, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Barb Marks

Barb Marks Active Member

Two of my 2 month old kids have a sore mouth. Does anybody have any home remedies to clear it up fast? They are eating all right and seem to be alright otherwise. Just a few ugly blisters on the lips.
    I read to mix 1 teaspoon of Copper Sulfate, 1 teaspoon of Vinegar and a small bucket of water, mix and disolve good and dip the goats mouth in it. That's supposed to dry it up and make the blisters fall off in two days, but today is my thirt day of treatment and it doesn't look like anything is going to fall off any time soon.
    Thanks

2. MoBarger

MoBarger Goat's Milk soap for sale

Time is the best healer :( Make sure they are still eating well and the sores are not interfering with their nursing/eating.
    Some folks use genetian violet.
    Make sure you wash your hands when handling these kids. It can be contagious to you too.
    Good luck!

3. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

4. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

howdy use rubber gloves and you can buy a hand sanitizer at yer local walmart....humans can get this also....as can your other goats...keep area clean and check inside of mouth for any obstructions such as sores or scabs that may make it hard to swollow and ajust feed if needed...the good news is yer goats will now have a life time free from this illness once it has cleared up...antibodies will develope...If these kidds are nursing they can also pass it on to the teets of the mother....Good luck Dale Anne