sore mouth question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Sheebaa, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Sheebaa

Sheebaa New Member

Hello, I am new to this site and find it very interesting. I was to get two goats from a friend and discovered they have "sore mouth" Is this something I need to worry about in my herd if I delay taking the animals for about a month? I am leery, though the animals are nice otherwise.
    Thanks, Sheebaa :)

2. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

Howdy...sore mouth is ugly and contagious to other goats and humans!...I would still get the goats but if ya can wait till the sores are closed and healed I suggest you doing that....good thing is once goats get it they build up the immune system and cant get it again....dale anne

3. natybear

natybear Well-Known Member

DA is right, but if you take them and they have scabs, any other animals and yourself are still at risk. To not deal with this I would buy the soremouth vaccine. I found it on Jeffers.com and it is for goats and sheep, it is by Colorado Serum. I haven't tried it but I'm going to because the sheep that come to county fair always bring it and I want to go next year with my goats.

Hope this helps.

4. Vere My Sone

Vere My Sone Well-Known Member

my doe spent a week at a neighbors for milking while I was out of town
    yep, came down with sore mouth

I kept her and her kid seperated in a stall--treated the sores topically on both--wore disposable gloves and sprayed the stall with diluted clorox each day--I understand the scabs can stay infectable for years

after reading all the scary things about soremouth, I was vastly releaved that nobody else has ever come down with it--we keep a closed angus herd, as well as a bunch of sheep-none of which have ever had this problem, before or after

5. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

While they cant get THAT type of soremouth again, they can get any other strain of sore mouth. Once you have sore mouth on your property, it lives in the soil. These goats can break out with it over and over again as it is a virus that lives in their body, same as herpes breaks out over and over. I would not buy goats who have had sore mouth. If I ever get sore mouth from the amount of shows we go to than I would start the vaccines. The vaccine is a live virus and will give a tad of sore mouth to each of your animals and make them immune but will bring the virus to your farm by vaccinating. We make sure we wash pens when we unload into show pens and wash faces and outside of mouths with vinigar and attend shows that have vet checks. Some people will collect the scabs from infected animals, freeze them, scratch the belly of lambs in the Spring, rub the scabs on the scratch, a few sores will develop on the belly and will be immune to THAT particular strain of sore mouth.
    We are so vigilant about keeping a clean herd and flock that I would never buy an animal that has had an episode of sore mouth. The breeder should be commended on her honesty though.

6. Sheebaa

Sheebaa New Member

Thanks for the reply and info from all. I will probably take the goats but decided to wait until end of Sept. which gives almost10 weeks from outbreak. Then I will isolate here about two weeks just for safety. We are pleased with the ones we got from him before so I think it will be OK. I will look them over thoroughly before moving them and scrub everything! Sheebaa