Sore inbetween "toes" of hoof

Discussion in 'Goats' started by kidsngarden, May 14, 2006.

1. kidsngarden

kidsngarden Well-Known Member

My little boer buck (3 months old) has been limping on on eof his front legs. His hooves were trimmed, but when we went to look in between I found a little sore in there. It doesn't appear to be infected, but a little red and swollen. any clues? And remedies?

Kids

2. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

if it's not an injury..I was wondering if it might be hoof scald. Has his foot been damp? As in its been misting/showering here for six days. If so..maybe he picked up hoof scald.

Maybe someone could help you more with this. But I think we used alcohol and teramyacine powder..mixed them and sprayed it between the toes when we had it. If you think it might be hoof scald.. and no one else gets on to help ya..yell back...and I will look up the recipe for you to treat him.

Good luck with your little fella!

3. kidsngarden

kidsngarden Well-Known Member

It doesn't appear to be an injury - no cut to be seen unless it was a puncture wound. I thought to try soaking in hydrogen peroxide then spraying some Blu-cote?

Your help would be appreciated.

kids

4. Hawkfamily

Hawkfamily Well-Known Member

One of our goats currently has a similar issue in a hind leg - it is just really raw and sore-looking in between the toes (like its split). My husband took really good care of it for the past month, and it seems to help at the time, but doesn't get better overall.
    Try good footbaths, cleaning it out with hydrogen peroxide and applying some copper for the next little while.
    We finally took her to the vet on Friday and he said it is a chronic thing, is definitely infected at this point (he could smell it) and will likely recur in her from time to time. She is on penicillin for a week to clear it up. It is already helping.
    HTH
    jodi

5. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

I highly recommend the copper solution for hoof scald, if that's what your goat has (not a smelly infection but a swollen, sensitive area). Our herd queen had this problem once and the copper stuff cured it just about instantaneously. Reeks to high heaven, though. :help:

6. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

Hi..sorry it took so long to get back to you...but I wanted to get the recipe. Its Hoegger Supplies recipe and it makes that scald just vanish.

1 pint Rubbing Alcohol

2 Tablespoons "343" Terramycin Powder

Mix 2 Tbls. of Terramycin Powder with 1pt. of rubbing alcohol. Pour into spray bottle and apply liberally to affected area between toes. This topical treatment may be enhanced by giving a 4cc injection of Biomyin. The alcohol and terramycin solution will change color after a few days..but its still okay to use.

I mixed this up in a squirt bottle...sprayed between their toes a couple of different times and those babies healed right up.

Good luck...and again..sorry I was late getting back to you...but I don't trust my MEMORY..LOL!! So I looked it up in their book.

7. smumitson

smumitson Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies! I will try these.

Kids

8. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I noticed the same thing a couple weeks ago wit hone of my does. I cleaned it really well, and I used tea tree oil mixed with water. I cleaned it three times a day. As I was doing it I fouind a piece of hay stuck in there. Good luck