Sore homesteading muscles-any herb to help?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Homesteader, May 27, 2004.

1. Homesteader

Homesteader Well-Known Member

Hi all. This is Homesteader - log on hasn't worked recently so I thought I'd get that in there. Love this homestead. It's really working my muscles this spring though with the addition of dairy goats. My doe freshened 8 days ago, got a congested udder on one side and she is not a cooperative milker but is improving. I've got sore muscles everywhere.

Do any of you have a recommendation for an herb that relaxes muscles? The only recommendation I've heard so far is for stuff that is really more geared toward joint/cartiledge.

By the way the goat's milk is worth every penny, every bit of work it took to get to this point. A huge homesteading milestone for us and we're tickled pink. And sore. :haha:

2. Livingguy

Livingguy Member

I would suggest that you eat plenty of citrus fruits(vit C) and take good quantity of proteins.

These two should solve all your issues although a good massage by a partner using Olive oil always helps:)

3. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

Hi Homesteader...Arnica, calendula, chamomile, eucalyptus, ginger, juiper berries, lavender, rosemary, st john's wort, and winter green are herbs for sore muscles.

Belinda

4. Homesteader

Homesteader Well-Known Member

Thanks. Mrs. Stuart these herbs to be taken internally right? As opposed to a body rub or something?

5. evilbunny

evilbunny Well-Known Member

I make a "bath tea" that you would throw into your bath water or a warm bowl of water to soak your sore muscles.

My son is a bull rider and he came home one night very sore. I told him to go soak with some of this in his bath water. Being a guy he didnt believe me nor want to take a bath. The next day he was even more sore so he finally agreed to give it a try.

He came out of the bath a firm believer. Now when he gets stepped on or gored he comes to me for some bath tea.

I sell them $3.00 for 5 of them. You can use them twice each

pm me if you'd like a sample one.

6. I make a liniment by filling a jar with comfrey leaves, add a large piece of fresh ginger sliced thin, and a few chopped hot peppers - either fresh or dried - then pour on alcohol to cover it all. I use rubbing alcohol, but some people prefer vodka. I also chop up some comfrey root and add that if I have it. Works like a charm. You could add some willow bark, too, it is analgesic. Let it steep for about a week at least though longer is better. I know this doesn't help RIGHT NOW, but you will have sore muscles again...

Peace and Love,
    nancy in the Catskills

7. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

You can take internally as a tea with any of them or a bath soak or you can infuse them in oil and make a salve out of any of them and work them into soar muscles.

Belinda

8. BlueRidgeBabe

BlueRidgeBabe Active Member

I usually take arnica orally, as well as use it as a muscle rub, and the combination works well. I take homeopathic pellets made by Boiron, they're called Arnicalm Trauma, and are generally available at health food stores and the like. They also sell tubes of arnica gel for external application. Works very well for sore mucles and bruises, but don't rub the gel on any open cuts or broken skin, as it is toxic if it enters the bloodstream. Just follow the directions on the label.