Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out this morning and one of my pigs isn't bearing weight on it's back left....

She weighs about 65 lbs or so right now...I was supposed to be feeding her and her pal to 250# (I got the female because one of the males I was to get got injured and they gave me her instead-now she is....just not my luck I guess.

What do I do with her at this point? :shrug: -besides taking her to the vet and having her x-rayed or something-I'm trying not to put a ton of money into a hog that's supposed to be in my freezer in 4-5 months- UGH!

·
Registered
949 Posts
At our place, it usually means they have steped on a rock or something and have a sore between their toes. It depends on how tame she is but if you can scratch her belly and get her to lay down you can inspect it closer. Check the foot out good for any wounds or bruses. If you find something, pour some iodine on it and add some antibiotic cream. Usually it gets better in a day after it's cleaned out.

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope no other problems...she is eating-though she did fall over after getting a little exhuberant and then ate just sitting there instead-she did get back up after a few minutes when she realized that she couldn't keep the male out of her bowl that way! :p , her tail is up and wagging, she wallowing and walking around although there's more of a gimp in her stride. They are quite friendly and I checked her over and didn't see any obvious signs...she doesn't get out of the water tank very gracefully and I'm thinking maybe she pulled a muscle or something coming out of there...it's like she doesn't want to take the time to hop that big hind end out of there...so she just drags herself over the edge! :rolleyes: That's probably what did it, but I don't have much choice in her getting in there really. They like it and though I have a wallow for them...they just get way hot out there and can't help but want to take a dip in their 'pool' under the tree.

I will check her feet, but there is practically nothing in the way of rocks out there....pebbles and little rounded stones here and there.

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She actually is walking a little better this afternoon. She ran as well when it was feeding time, though kept her leg tucked up and ran 3-legged for a bit.

I'm going to wait it out...see what happens...pigs seem to be pretty tough little critters.

Thanks all I'll let you know if anything changes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.