Soooo Mad!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by JAS, Jan 10, 2005.

1. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Just a little bit ago, while doing chores I heard the cry of one of my little bucklings. Apparently one of the adult does didn't like him eating where he was and did a number on him. He died in my hands :waa: . I am not having very good luck with kids this year. Lost two that froze before I got to them (almost saved one but he died later) and I lost the littlest of triplettes, now this one.

2. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

JAS I'm so sorry to hear that!! :( You are having an awful year, so I'll say a prayer for you, that this is it.. I'm so sorry you lost your little buckling..

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

That's horrible! I am so very sorry. :(

4. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I too am so sorry for your loss.

5. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I'm sorry :( sounds like your herd is free range and stuff like this happens. It just does. Don't beat yourself up over it. I hope the year turns around for you.

6. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about you losing the little ones like that. I had a problem with some of the bigger ones being mean to the little guys so what I did was take some pallets and make four walls with them (a large room) and cut out some of the boards with a saw. That way the little ones could get in at feeding time but the big ones couldn't get near them. Hope things look up for you and your little freinds.

7. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Jas I just read this, am so sorry this all has happened to you this year. Our prayers and thoughts are with you. Maybe next year it would be good to wait and breed later in the year too as then it won't be so blasted cold when those babies are born. Even down here in TX I have decided my new years resolution is no more breeding until later so I have Apr and May kids. Best wishes for the furture.

8. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Yes, my breeding plan has flopped. I was going for Oct/Nov babies but no one cooperated. I have some due for March/April. Hope that goes better.

I have my pregnant does and babies/moms in one lot. This buckling was from one of the does lower down on the pecking order--she is my best doe though. The Queen doe is my suspect, I think I will be selling her. I can't really separate them. The kids crawl out the gate and eat undisturbed usually. This little guy was in the wrong place at the wrong time--caught his head in the fence and snapped his neck :(

9. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

Your "queen" sounds like the one we have. We plan on selling ours because she is so mean. On day I got so mad I threatened to tie her horns to the fence because she was going after little elfie the smallest goat we have and lowest in the order) . Now marie (*the one that thinks she's in charge) is going after elfie babies. Buster has to be bottle fed by me because Elfie just doesn't make enough milk for both kids so when Buster was being picked on he ran to me and wanted to be picked up. As I was chasing Marie away Buster looked down at her like "yeah let's get her!" :yeeha: Don't worry he's not a bit spoiled he just like me to hold him for about a half hour to an hour after he eats while he takes his nap. :haha: