Sony tape recorder drive belt

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by HermitJohn, Nov 10, 2006.

1. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Anybody have any idea where I can get a drive belt for a Sony TCM-929 tape recorder? Wholesale these are less than 25cents each (how many thousand do you need?). Some joker on ebay says send him the model number and he will sell me one for $9.99 plus $5 shipping. Well I can get whole other tape recorder for $15.

I know this is a non-repairable culture we live in, but ought to be somewhere I could get one shipped to me under $5. I mean how much markup does somebody need on a 25cent item and they can just pop it in an evelope and send first class for price of a letter, these weigh nothing.

I mostly use this for playing audio books and may have to move to something that can play mp3 anyhow, but this has been reliable and easy on the batteries.

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

3. HermitJohn

Alas still not worth it. I mean it is a $15 tape recorder brand spankin new even if it is a good one. I mean its a good return on investment to sell replacement belt shipped cost for even $2. $5 is really generous on a 25cent item that would take 5 minutes and a common letter envelope to mail. Beyond that we're just guilding the lilly. But wouldnt be first time I've run into this kind of silly pricing structure.

4. Theront

Theront Well-Known Member

Ok now don't laugh. I have fixed many of vcr and tape recorder with Orings as drive belts and sometimes even rubber bands. If you get to thick of a belt or to thin it may change the rpms of the capstan motors. You may be able to detect it but probably not.

Hope this helps
    Theront

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

If it is an O-ring type belt and you have stock of the same material but the wrong length you can super glue the ends once the o-ring is cut with a razor blade.

6. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Well-Known Member

It is silly, but there are times in ones life when he value of the object is less than the repair cost....

Buy a new one...........and get another (several) years worth of enjoyment.......It aint THAT much money!!!

7. HermitJohn

I hate waste. Throwing a useful item away cause the idiot selling parts wants zillion percent return on a 25cent item, crazy. Will open thing up and see if I can use o-ring.

If I have to buy another will probably go with something that can play both tapes and cds with mp3 files. I never used this thing except to play audio books so recorder function not necessary and it doesnt even really have to be portable..

8. HermitJohn

took it apart. Two belts. Big one is whats causing the problem, looks like a rotten rubber band and obviously slipping. Little one looks good enough, but replace it too if I can find close size o-ring. Alas the local large hardware that you could find all sorts of oddball stuff and not have to buy an assortment is long gone. Now its just the box stores and TSC. None of which have the selection the dedicated hardware store did. Sure I am part of problem, I only went to the hardware store to buy some odd bolt or fitting or piece of glass and that obviously wasnt enough to keep them going.