son's new allergies

Discussion in 'Alternative Health' started by okiemom, Dec 14, 2006.

1. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

My oldest son is allergic to peanuts, pecans, walnuts, and hickories. We learned this early when he promptly threw up a cookie w/ pecans in it. Luckily his reaction was mild lots of flem and "croupy cough" Benadryl took care of this.

keeping him away from this has been fairly easy. Lunch at school is mostly out as the new law says the food must be put on his plate, he dosen't have to eat it but it has to be there. :flame: PBJ sandwich is wrapped in plastic but I nearly had a cow when I found out what happened. My son is very good at asking what is in a product, but it dosen't help when they have suprise meals. so better safe.. no meals at school.

We take him to get tested for other allergies. I am not expecting any others but come to find out he is also allergic to MILK and EGGS :help: :Bawling:

No what pray tell am I supposed to feed this child?!! I am flipping. His allergic reaction after eating milk or eggs is he starts scratching his back w/ his shirt and rubbing against the back of the chair squirming. I had looked at his back before and no apparent allergic signs. hives, swelling, rash....

We are lucky he could have to go to the ER but his are not that bad...yet. In reading I have some slight hope he will out grow this. He is 6 an they said many kids out grow eggs at 5. He also could be more sensitive at certain times of the year due to air allergies.

I am really trying hard to work out a way to feed him and advoid these foods. I am just now understanding how many things/recipes have milk and/or eggs in them.

Tonight we had chicken, veggies, and potato pancakes w/ yep milk and eggs in them. I didn't even think about this until well AFTER we had eaten. :Bawling: :Bawling: There also seems to be a link to chicken in food and egg alergies. does this mean no chicken for dinner and what about the chickens in our coop???

The next DR. visit (allergist) is in March so what until then?? I am hurting for him and yes me. Thanks for letting me vent and whine. katharine

2. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

It could be worse. My nephew is allergic to everything your son is, plus wheat. My oldest daughter (18) is allergic to peanuts and all tree nuts. Don't expect all of his reactions to be as mild as the first one. the "big one" can happen anytime he is exposed. Hopefully, you have an epipen. My daughter is going off to college next fall and I'm having her retested soon to see if (on the slight chance) she may be one of the few to outgrow her allergy. Probably not. But her age group is the most likely to have a fatal anaphylactic reaction because they are the age that thinks they are immortal. Scary...

3. Marilyn in CO

Marilyn in CO Well-Known Member

Scarey for sure. My 3yo GD had allergies two pages long including the peanuts. We took her to the AAE (Advanced Allergy Elimination) clinic in Denver and had great results after 10 sessions. A noticeable improvement after each one and she loves the doctor. She always looked forward to going because relief would show on her face after each session. Her whole disposition would change after a session from cranky and irritable to happy and peaceful. She does have flair ups, but nothing like originally. We always had and have an epipen nearby. Their protocol is noninvasive and quite amazing to say the least. The neuromodulation technique is what they use and practitioners can be found on that website. Like anything else, I'm sure it depends on the expertise/skill of the practitioner and we have an excellent one. He told us that if she would have continued on with the allergies and received more and more drugs she most likely would have been a candidate for lupus/fibromyalgia/rheumitoid arthritis or another kind of autoimmune condition in the future. We are so extremely thankful that we were able to help our DGD with this type of therapy because the change in her is dramatic. We still keep her away from eating nuts but she can now at least go into a Red Lobster(shellfish) or a Texas Roadhouse(with peanut shells everywhere) and have no reactions.

4. okiemom

yes we are lucky so far, like you have said everytime they are exposed it could be very dangerous. Yes, he has an epi-pen and he is getting a perscription for a oral steroid as well to reduce any flair-up.

Any good books on what to cook w/ these allergies???

5. Lisa in WA

6. wendle

wendle Well-Known Member

It's incredibly hard to figure out what to eat with allergies like that. I feel for you both, and hope he outgrows it. One thing I would warn you about is not only have your son ask what is in anything he might think about eating OR drinking, but never trust anybody to just know what is in the food. Always, Always have him or somebody read ingredients on packages. When I did have a bad reaction it was after I asked about the ingredients and the person assured me there were no eggs in the food. Turned out they didn't check all the ingredients, they made something from a mix, or they just didn't realize one of the ingredients had eggs in it. He could also potentially have a reaction from dust of something he is allergic to(dust from eggs can be in the air in a chicken coop). . I have a serious allergy to eggs since I was 21. I have problems with eating chicken too, so avoid eating any kind of bird.
    Once I went to a mom and pops restaurant for a hamburger. After opening it to check for mayonaise(which has eggs) I found a piece of egg. The waitress told me they used the same spatula as for breakfast.
    It's more work and will make you feel paranoid about having to check everything, but after a while you get into a routine of what you can and can't have and learn to live with it.

7. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

I see that you've mentioned a few different nuts. How about cashews? My husband has trouble with just peanuts, but he's fine with cashews, so we buy cashew butter and it's pretty good. The brand we like best is called Once Again.

8. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

9. Lisa in WA

Lots of people are allergic to peanuts but can eat other "nuts" like cashews. Peanuts are not actually nuts, they are legumes like peas and beans, and it's a different allergy from tree nuts like cashews. Some, like my daughter and the OP's son are allergic to both.

10. LvDemWings

LvDemWings Well-Known Member

okiemom you may want to look into vegan dishes and then modify them to your taste and what your child can eat. I'm sure there are various things that can be used as an egg substitute and I bet there are more than a few vegans here at HT that would share some recipe/information websites with you.

11. okiemom

Thanks all,

My son can eat pistachios, almonds (peach family), cashews, but not sure about any others off hand. He was eating these before we knew he was allergic to juglan family nuts (pecans, walnuts, hickories).

We stayed away from peanuts because he didn't like the taste of peanuts and I knew they could be one of the more reactive in allergies.

We found out about the nuts when he had a Choc Chip cookie w/ walnuts. It came back up quickly and he had allergic sinus type drainage/congestion. Luckily no true "air way" problems. that could change if he has repeated exposure.

He has never had problems w/ yogurt, hard cheeses (that I am aware of) and eggs in baked goods. He never liked fried eggs but scrambled were ok but not a fav. Fried are not cooked as much as scrambled???? Difference in change of protein??? this is the stuff I am trying to learn.

I am looking at trying to learn some vegan type meals. Hopefully, the further tests will help tell me what I need to change. 90% of what I make has eggs or milk in it, nevermind the wheat. :Bawling: As he is a skinny kid tall but rail thin, I use eggs and milk for good protein for him. I worry he does not have enough padding. Can I give him some of mine?? :shrug: :)

Can food intolerance show up as an allergy?? I am still trying to find out what the difference is between the two.

I am leaning and will keep asking the questions. :hobbyhors Thanks again

12. Kee Wan

Kee Wan Well-Known Member

AS it was explained to me:

An alergic reaction occures when the body identifies some substance that it has been exposed to as harmful and the result is an IgE-response....for years, this has been the halmark of anythign that physicians called an "alergy"....if there was a measuravble IgE response - then it was an alergic reaction...of not, then they just chalked it to something different.....

There are two schools of thought for the "intolerance" bit...some say (mostly those who insist that any alergic reaction MUST have a positive IgE response) that an intolerance is just a "weak" or "pseudo" alergy...it's somethign that the body doen'st like - but no one can really explain any more than that.....

Those from other schools of thought say that it IS an alergic reaction - just one wihtout an IgE response. (I suppose that it all depends on how "alergy" is defined....now doen'st it?) Some of these people can point to specific causes, relationships and other things that form between these antagonists and the reaction.....

Most (but not all) of the western medicine physicians that I know still define an "alergy" as somethign that makes the body produce an IgE response. adn most also define a "intolerance" as something that has some negative symptom associated with it.

My father is "alergic" to apples - if he eats one that is not fully cooked, his throat swells up and constricts and he cannot breathe....he carries an epi-pen, and it IS a life-threatening issue....HOWEVER, in his medical records, there exists no diagnosis like that....in fact - it says that there was "no response" to apples.....no IgE response.....he IS alergic - and has a VERY "alergic-like" reaction - but his IgE response is negative - so the physician would not "diagnose" an apple laergy.....(she did, however, conceed that whatever it was that was going on was serious and presscribed an epi-pen...THANK GOD!!!)

The fact is that most of what we, in this country, eat is not food. It's been processed and re-processed, stabilized and preserved to the point that our bodies often do not recognize it as food (read lables - how much do you REALLY understand??? Do you KNOW what Ethylene Glycol is....or WHY it's in your food?) Flour HAS to be "enriched" because it's SO PROCESSED that it is HARMFUL if it's not "fixed". The other fact is that most of us have hidden food "alergies" and other illnesses that are caused by diet.

In your case...I'd start learning ALL I COULD about food alergies, their causes and their "fixes" (and there ARE fixes out there that ARE valid and helpful) and I'd start learnign ALL I could about nutrition.

Look at the macrobiotic diet - I know that it has a prooven track record for healing all manner of illnessses AND allergies - including food alergies.

13. OliveOyl

OliveOyl Member

"My oldest son is allergic to peanuts, pecans, walnuts, and hickories.
    We take him to get tested for other allergies. I am not expecting any others but come to find out he is also allergic to MILK and EGGS :help: :Bawling:

Tonight we had chicken, veggies, and potato pancakes w/ yep milk and eggs in them. I didn't even think about this until well AFTER we had eaten. :Bawling: :Bawling: There also seems to be a link to chicken in food and egg alergies. does this mean no chicken for dinner and what about the chickens in our coop???"

Let's see, there is a whole lot of food he can eat! If he hasn't reacted to chicken, he is probably ok with it. Eggs are much more common an allergen. So, you can make potato pancakes w/o eggs - look up a vegan recipe for them. And rice milk, soy milk (but better to avoid as another common allergen), almond milk (I think you said almonds were ok), coconut milk can be substituted for milk in most recipes, as well as juice can also in some recipes like muffins. You can make any vegetables, any meats, rice, sandwiches ( I am not sure about bread without eggs, but seems like that shouldnt be too hard, look for the "parve" symbol for no milk) can be made with mustard or honey mustard - tuna can be mixed in with these, or almond and whatever other nut butter was ok, with jam or jelly. Bacon lettuce tomato sandwiches. Spagetti and sauce, sausage. Oh, my, the things he can eat!!
    Olive Oyl
    (Whose youngest dd can't have gluten, dairy, corn, soy, and for a while nightshades, which was pretty darn hard!! and lemon but I didn't see a reaction that bothered her or I)

14. the mama

the mama loves all critters Supporter

I am allergic to eggs, wheat, milk, soy and multiple enviromental things. I have fibromyalgia and degenerative arthritis. I have found that I can tolerate small amounts of these foods, but its best to avoid. No breads, only taco shells or small amounts of flat bread. Cake for special occasions only. I can eat duck eggs, yea!! I can eat Goat milk, yea!! I make my own cheese and yogurt. I plan meals around potatoes, rice and corn as starches. I can eat any meats and vegs. Avoid gravy mixes, they are flour based, use corn starch or arrowroot instead. There is a book called ' 5 years with out food.' It has ideas and receipes. Also use only clarified butter not margarine as it all has whey in it.
    Good luck. Try TOTAL avoidance for 6 months then try small amounts in rotation, its in the book and it works. :)

15. wendle

wendle Well-Known Member

You can make pancakes without eggs and they turn out great. Just leave the eggs out and adjust the flour accordingly to your preference on thickness of batter.