Son's National Guard unit called up

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Mutti, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

to go help with the disaster scene here in MO past this week's ice storm. Funny 'cause I'd just told him today they were utilizing the Guard for us like they should instead of sending them overseas...and he had said he'd be glad to do this job. Now that the gov. has changed the rules midstream (midwar?) the Guard can be called up for extended duty more than once every three years. Guess it's better than the last offer--Guatamala for a year! DEE

2. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

Been there and done that. I spent 20 Years in the guard and was called up severial times. I was glad that I can be of help others.

The main mision for the guard is to be of assistance to the people in their state. This does not take a lot of training but war making is what they train on most of the time.

Since the guard is being activated to make war against whatever. That is something that they expect. Any one that is in the guard is a volinteer and since this has been going on for a long time so anyone that doesn't want to be there has already passed his enlistmient.

3. straight shot

straight shot Well-Known Member

lost 2 nephews in the last 3 months one Loyal WI and one from Racine WI, and most from WI is back home (NG) but will be heading out agian within the next 30 days, they returned just 30 days ago. WI is taking a big hit ,most are under 21 ysold.

Just keep praying for peace , but support .

4. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Son here at dawn to get his cold weather stuff--still don't know what actual role they'll play but troops already called up have been going door to door checking on residents' well being and markinh homes that have been visited. Also hauling in water as alot of the small towns city wells can't pump without power. Son says sure will be better duty than shooting at people. Sure hope this is a wakeup call to all those oblivious folks who have no backup source of heat/light/cooking facilities. I feel for those forced into shelters. We were so lucky being on the rain side of the mess. DEE

5. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Dee, God bless your son and keep him safe. As you said, at least he's stateside, where the guard SHOULD be serving!

Straigt Shot, I am so sorry to hear of your family's huge loss -- two boys!! How heartbreaking... God be with you, too...

And God bless all our troops, wherever they are stationed.

I forget who has the Orwell quote as a tag line, but it's true:

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. --George Orwell

Pony!

6. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

God Bless your son for dropping everything to go help out his community in their time of need.

Prayers for his safety and comfort.

Nikki