Song birds that sing at night

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Beeman, May 8, 2004.

1. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

What song birds sing all night long? I've heard them at all hours of the night and morning.

2. charles

charles Well-Known Member

sounds like the neighbor's roosters.

3. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Not funny! I do have a neighbor that has game roosters, he has an outdoor light and they "sing" all night too.

4. homesteadmama

homesteadmama Well-Known Member

I have just been wondering the same thing!!! I work nights and am only home to sleep 3 nights out of the week, but have been waking up to the most melodic birdsong in the dead of night! I am in the pacific northwest--not sure where you are at, but sure would like to know what bird it is!! Lynn

5. bare

bare Head Muderator

Lucky you, you have a mockingbird sitting outside your window.

They can imitate other birds calls, making you think that there is more than one species singing.

6. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I thought it was a mockingbird, I remember reading about them somewhere. Others had said nightingale.
    I definetly have more than one as it's like a symphony out there.

7. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Then there's the whipporwills that sit outside you window and turn the night into some inane torture of never ending "whipporwill! whipporwill! whipporwill"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No I didn't get my eight hours of beauty sleep last night :)

8. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Years ago, back when I was in college, my Canadian roommate got a good laugh when I told her that one of the things I missed most about Texas was the birds that sing at night. Birds don't sing at night! she laughed. :rolleyes: :haha:
    The mockingbirds do. Whipperills also sing at night. :)

9. revontulet

revontulet Well-Known Member

I've got hoo-hoo-hoo-hoooo right outside my window all night long. Actually it starts off in the forest near the pasture. Then after we turn off the lights and crawl into bed, it flys over to the trees next to the house. I think it's the Great Horned Owl.
    Also have Common Loons in my pond that will sing early in the night. But I guess when the owl comes out everyone wants to stay quiet.

10. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

here in houston, there are starlings... that go all night long... hate em...

looking forward to the owls, mockingbirds, etc.. i miss those from my night time ...

nothing like the sound of an owl in the trees... some coyotes in the distance... and a light whisper of breeze thru the trees.......... a beautiful lullabye

Lynn in Texas

11. goatgirl

goatgirl Guest

I miss the mockingbirds in Texas (and the cardinals, and even the jays)!! Out on the prairie of NM, I get only a few mockers, but you can sure tell when they come around. Yes, and sing all night on some occasions. I've got some flycatchers who've just moved in this spring, and they start VERY early in the morning. I like the owls, too.. but watch out if your cats start disappearing! debra in nm

12. 12vman

12vman Offgridkindaguy

Whip-o-wills and owls drive me nuts sometimes. cj...I know what you are saying.

13. doohap

doohap Another American Patriot

I, for one, love the whip-poor-wills. The species we have at our place (chuck-will's-widow) sings all night long. It's comforting to wake and hear his/her soft call.

14. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) The list of birds that call or sing at night is a long one. LOL

Killdeer, nightingales, northern mockingbird, northern cardinal, common grackle, blue jay, tufted titmouse, Carolina wren, limpkin, chuck-wills-widow, owls, mourning doves and the American crow are the species most frequently accused of causing problems by calling and singing at night and very early in the morning.

I do not know which species are found where you live though.

Also, there is a fairly recent phenomenon in our modern times with some species of birds that live around brightly lit, 24 hour businesses that have started singing at night(fast food places on heavily traveled highways etc.). These birds are passing this tendancy on to their youngsters.

I do love hearing the Killdeer call at night.

LQ

15. Gayle in LA

Gayle in LA Well-Known Member

All night long? That would definitely be our friend, Mr. Mockie! Funny, I haven't had any here this year do the all-night thing..........just one that i occasionally hear. The local population seems greatly decreased this spring.

16. homesteadmama

homesteadmama Well-Known Member

We don't have mockingbirds on this side of Washington State--at least where I live anyway---but I have noticed a lot more grackles around than I have ever remembered seeing before, maybe that is what I am hearing. What makes it odd, is that it is just a bird or two with a beautiful clear song, somewhere around 1 or 2 AM. It is just so unusual and sweet in the midst of the dark and quiet. The kind of thing that makes you want to wake someone else up just to come and listen! I'll take that over the noise of the local graveltrucks anyday!! :) Lynn

17. bare

bare Head Muderator

According to all my birding books, the Northern Mockingbird is found througout Washington State, and in fact throughout the entire Northwest, including Southern Canada. Here in Idaho we have occasional Mockingbirds but they are not something you see regularly.

From Sibley Guide to Birds:

Voice: Song of varied phrases in regimented series each phrase repeated two to six times, then an obvious pause followed by a different series krrDEE-krrDEE-krrDEE, jeurrrdi jeurrrdi jeurrrdi...; most phrases musical; many imitations of other species. Call a harsh dry chak; harsher and longer than blackbirds, agressive call a high wheezy skeeeh.

18. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

Swamp sparrows and marsh wrens are also known to sing at night. I don't know if there are any where you are though.

19. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

It's usually the whip-o-wills that I hear, and an owl or two but they tend to stay deeper in the woods.
    I LOVE listening to them! If the moon's full or just bright, I could sit up half the night and listen to the animals and insects. :)

20. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

revontulet-it sounds like a Barred Owl to me. Sounds like hooo-hooo-hoo-hoooo ("who cooks for you?").

Our mockingbirds are further from the house this year and the whipporwills already passed through. Quieter nights with them at a distance.