Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have put off cleaning up leaves on my side drive for about 5 years now.

Today I started peeling the sheets of compressed leaves off the concrete with the manure scoop and used the flat wagon to carry the sheets of aged leaves back to the brush pile that this season grew up to about 7 feet tall.

The three cart loads of leaf pack was enough to layer over a 15 foot long section of the dead fall brush without the 2 by 2 foot leaf sheets breaking up.

An hour after layering that section of the brush pile had creaked its way to about 4 feet tall again.

Now I just have to figure which of my other procrastination leaf layers is the oldest as the older it is the better it weighs the brush down to decompose :)

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
Now I just have to figure which of my other procrastination leaf layers is the oldest as the older it is the better it weighs the brush down to decompose :)
I'm trying to figure this out? Age has nothing to do with it, but yes more time probably equals more leaves and more compaction/weight/water retention. Suspending them in the air a few fractions/inches/feet will allow them to dry out much quicker also.

What does this do? Kill off the top growth, making them expand their territory? Just mulching them well?

·
Have a Great Day!
5,197 Posts
Kind of like sweeping a floor everyday-You can barely see what You are sweeping up,and it doesn't appear as if anything has changed; Wait a few days, or a week, and you can see all of the dirt/debris, and it really seems like You have accomplished something*.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts