Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a man in our small town who has NO friends. Nobody wants to be around him. He's rude, crude, nasty to women, etc. A few months back, while my husband was at his friends house, this man lost his dog to an accident. Now my husband, being the soft touch that he is, spent time with the man and tried to befriend him. And to his credit, the man was a good friend to us as well. For several months. Even to the point of loaning us his generator for some outdoor work just before we moved.

Now, as some of you know, our trailer was broken into 4 times while we were trying to move. His generator was one of the first items stolen-and HE is the one that discovered the break-in. We also lost computers, cameras, tools, etc. We called the police, filed all the necessary reports, etc. This man has yet to provide the state police with the information on the generator so that they can complete their report. NOW-he has accused me of stealing MY OWN furnace and hot water heater out of my trailer and selling them as stolen property! I sold them to my new landlord before I moved, and paid my deposits with the cash. He accosted my landlord in the middle of the supermarket parking lot, caused a huge scene, accused him of purchasing stolen property and nearly got me arrested!! The only thing that kept me out of jail is the paperwork I have proving that I own the trailer, and that I owned the contents. I even had the receipts for the appliances! The police termed it a wrongful accusation and are considering filing charges against him for wasting their time with a false arrest request. Since then, I have sent bread over to him, followed up with the state police on the reports, etc. I have even gone over to his house to remind him to call them!

This man was just here, screaming and yelling at me for stealing his generator and telling me that if I was any kind of girlfriend, he would at least get ____for his trouble! He thinks I am his girlfriend!!!!! I can understand him being upset over the loss of his generator. To that end, he has a signed and notarized statement from us stating that we will replace his used generator with another used generator by the end of March 2009. While the theft was not our fault, we are ultimately responsible for the safety of items we have borrowed. Since then, he has done nothing but hound me. He comes here about 3 times a week, now. I have told him repeatedly not to come here when my husband is not at home-that is the only time he shows up, so he doesn't even get in the door. Panda won't even let him on the porch. I had to tell him today that he cannot come back here at all or he will be arrested for trespassing and harassment. I'll be notifying the state police that he is downtown and needs to finish that report. I'm furious with him for the lies he told my landlord, my landlord is furious with ME for the lies he was told. At the rate this fool is going, I'm going to wind up living back in that trailer, which now has no furnace, hot water heater or appliances! Sometimes, it just doesn't pay to be neighborly. This whole mess started when my husband tried to befriend a grief-stricken man in his time of need. Guess who won't be making that mistake again?

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
Might be worth the time and money to get a restraining order, and to let him know you have done so, and will call the police if he shows up again. That you will follow through on replacing the generator, and UNTIL THEN, to stay away. Just my 2 cents worth. Jan in Co

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Sorry to hear of this trouble you are having by trying to be nice and help someone in need. Its sad that things like this happen when we are trying to do the right thing, but they do.I will be praying for you and yours and for that man thats doing you wrong. Eddie

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
There is a man in our small town who has NO friends. Nobody wants to be around him. He's rude, crude, nasty to women, etc. A few months back, while my husband was at his friends house, this man lost his dog to an accident. Now my husband, being the soft touch that he is, spent time with the man and tried to befriend him. And to his credit, the man was a good friend to us as well. For several months. Even to the point of loaning us his generator for some outdoor work just before we moved.

Now, as some of you know, our trailer was broken into 4 times while we were trying to move. His generator was one of the first items stolen-and HE is the one that discovered the break-in. We also lost computers, cameras, tools, etc. We called the police, filed all the necessary reports, etc. This man has yet to provide the state police with the information on the generator so that they can complete their report. NOW-he has accused me of stealing MY OWN furnace and hot water heater out of my trailer and selling them as stolen property! I sold them to my new landlord before I moved, and paid my deposits with the cash. He accosted my landlord in the middle of the supermarket parking lot, caused a huge scene, accused him of purchasing stolen property and nearly got me arrested!! The only thing that kept me out of jail is the paperwork I have proving that I own the trailer, and that I owned the contents. I even had the receipts for the appliances! The police termed it a wrongful accusation and are considering filing charges against him for wasting their time with a false arrest request. Since then, I have sent bread over to him, followed up with the state police on the reports, etc. I have even gone over to his house to remind him to call them!

This man was just here, screaming and yelling at me for stealing his generator and telling me that if I was any kind of girlfriend, he would at least get ____for his trouble! He thinks I am his girlfriend!!!!! I can understand him being upset over the loss of his generator. To that end, he has a signed and notarized statement from us stating that we will replace his used generator with another used generator by the end of March 2009. While the theft was not our fault, we are ultimately responsible for the safety of items we have borrowed. Since then, he has done nothing but hound me. He comes here about 3 times a week, now. I have told him repeatedly not to come here when my husband is not at home-that is the only time he shows up, so he doesn't even get in the door. Panda won't even let him on the porch. I had to tell him today that he cannot come back here at all or he will be arrested for trespassing and harassment. I'll be notifying the state police that he is downtown and needs to finish that report. I'm furious with him for the lies he told my landlord, my landlord is furious with ME for the lies he was told. At the rate this fool is going, I'm going to wind up living back in that trailer, which now has no furnace, hot water heater or appliances! Sometimes, it just doesn't pay to be neighborly. This whole mess started when my husband tried to befriend a grief-stricken man in his time of need. Guess who won't be making that mistake again?
This man is mentally ill. He needs help. You are not a relative and therefore cannot get it for him. Therefore, you NEED a restraining order! Girlfriend? Nothing good can come of that!

Cindyc.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL~~ no, mpillow. no relation at all that I know of. It's just one of those days! Every time things start to settle down around here, the universe notices and sends more excitement my way. It's a small thing, really, but he's blowing it way out of proportion. I did the right thing and notified the police of the break ins, and promised to replace his generator. He's just wierding out on me lately.

I called my landlord and let him know what was up, too. I'll be getting a restraining order on Monday. Until then, DH is home from work and I won't be alone. Plus, Panda the wonderdog doesn't like him. If he gets too pushy, she'll bite him. I'd rather pay the fine for the bite than continue to deal with him.

Eddie, thank you for praying for this man. Right now, I can't do that and he really needs it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
MPillow! :rotfl:

Well, restraining order, 12 gauge, in that order.

As an aside, you realize that if he really starts acting up, the dog will bite him and then he'll sue you, causing more aggravation AND causing your homeowner's rates to go up after he retires on his pile of settlement cash with his bum leg....

Be CAREFUL and do not underestimate him.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Umm... not trying to be mean, but when are you going to learn? As the saying goes, "when you lie down with dogs, you get fleas." You've had nothing but trouble in your new apartment. I had hoped this would be a fresh start for you. Time to evaluate who you associate with.

·
Registered
399 Posts
This guy is mental. I had a neighbor like that once. Bad. Bad news. You need to do two things. 1: document ever single incident, phone call, letter, threat etc. Take pictures and it wouldn't hurt to carry a recorder in your pocket in case he accosts you in public again. 2: Get the restraining order.

Good luck to you. You're gonna need it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
"No good deed goes unpunished."

I hope the restraining order does the trick. This guy is mentally unstable. Not trying to scare you but would hope that you are prepared to defend yourself, if necessary.

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Wonder if he stole his own generator from your trailer. When someone has NO friends there is usually a good reason...

Just a thought,
SBJ

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
"His generator was one of the first items stolen-and HE is the one that discovered the break-in.
This man has yet to provide the state police with the information on the generator so that they can complete their report."

Makes me wonder if he took it back to. If he fails to provide the info to the police, Im not sure I would buy him a replacement.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts