Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
everyone thinks because i am getting older...49 ... and female that i should wait until others can help me do heavy things. but they have to actually appear. tired of folks saying they will help and then dont have time. i decided months ago to move the hay from the barn to an empty goat shed. maybe 30 bales. yesterday i started wheelbarrowing one at a time with the help of my trusty hay hook. on the way back i took leavings from the goat pen to the compost pile and lose hay to the same pile. it was very hot and humid. sweated like crazy. every 3-4 bales i took a break in the air conditioning to drink gatorade and water. took 6 hours and i was exhausted but it is done. i got great exercise doing it and the satisfaction of knowing im not an invalid yet just someone who needs to work smarter, not harder.

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
I am mid fifties and feel the same way. My dh gets really angry with me when I do something --he thinks I shouldn't do-- Like loading or moving heavy things. He works away from the farm,for several days at a time, some days he's works all night , coming home at 2pm. When is he suppose to help with things that need to be done? or should I ask -if he does things I want done when will he sleep! He thinks I should call the kids and ask them to help me do everything and I will NOT. IF I can't do it alone, I will find a way to do it with equipment-if that doesn't work (not often) it just doesn't get done until he has time...But I agree, sometimes you just have to do it yourself...QB

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
Two hours of hard work is easier on my soul than 30 minutes waiting and wondering if someone is going to show up to help.

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
I agree with all of you! I just turned 48 on Monday and have multiple health problems. However, nothing is worse on my health than waiting on someone to do something I need to have done! Especially when it's something I used to do for myself. If I really want something done I figure out a way to do it myself. May take me longer, but I get it done.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
I've never been able to get anything done by planning. So I guess I'm a "STRIKE THE NOTION" kinda person, atleast thats when everything gets done. Once in a while I might add a little "ROUND TOIT" to the recipe,but the difference is undetectable. :hobbyhors

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I love getting that kind of work done too! I'll be 50 in 5 months and I think that it helps to feel young if you STAY active. :)

Pat

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Excellent post! After I whacked out my back and tore the rotator cuff in my right shoulder (I am right handed so that made every chore painful) I had to learn how to do things differently in order to accomplish the same chores. Bought two dollies (hand trucks) and a flat cart on big tires to accompany my large capacity wheelbarrow. I can move a refrigerator or washing machine with a dolly. I also learned that there are very few things that have to be started and finished without stopping. I have a self propelled mower now, but because of the intense heat much of the year here, I don't mow the whole yard without stopping like I used to. I mow in sections, and it may take all day or even two days to mow, but so what, it still gets done.

Learn to use leverage tools like dollies, wheelbarrows and crow bars or other long levers. Take breaks often and don't feel guilty about it. And take your time.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Oggie said:
Two hours of hard work is easier on my soul than 30 minutes waiting and wondering if someone is going to show up to help.
Amen to that!! I'm 49 this month and I absolutely hate it when my husband tells me to 'wait just a bit, I'll do that for you' - I mean, I know he's just trying to be gallant but it makes me feel like some tottering old lady!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
seems there is a lot of us out there... i got a high quality self propelled mower myself. one of my best purchases was a 5 foot long bar to help when i change implements on the tractor.

i admit that my 23 hp tractor with front end loader is a back saver. but ya got to get it in the bucket first.

im starting to think it would be a good idea if companies would put feed in 25 lb bags.

the best thing is having my nephew follow me around to do the heavy stuff.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Well...I am only 29 but DH doesn't like me doing anything too "manly" when he isn't home. It isn't that he is sexist or anything...in fact, he knows that I am strong and I like to do certain things. We finished our basement together, put up fences together, and cut grass together. We like doing stuff together and he enjoys teaching me new things and knowing I could survive if anything ever were to happen to him. BUT, he does worry about me hurting myself when I am at home w/ just the kids and such and oh, boy...when I am pregnant I can't do a thing. Drives me nuts.

I have to say, though, I learned my lesson about being stubborn when I was pregnant w/ DS. I wanted to start on the nursery one day while DH was at work. Well, I moved a big screen TV (the old kind!) from that room to another and went into preterm labor like 2 days later. I spent the next 2 months on bedrest and DH did most of the nursery while I "supervised"! Thankfully, DS was fine and waited till time, but bedrest is a miserable fate for us "doers" and it definitely taught me to know my limitations!

Rachael

Also have to add: my mom is the same way...she's been single for 14 yrs and lives on 5 acres. Sometimes I worry about her being out there chopping down trees by herself, but she really enjoys doing stuff like that...so, I just call at dark to make sure she's in!! She probably thinks I'm funny, but at least she knows I care.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts