Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Amanda
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, a man called me and asked if I had any young does that I would sell. I told him " Yes Sir, I have some young does, but they are not breeding age." Well, he told me he would be out this morning to pick up a pair of them. He decided he didn't want them, that he wanted a pair of my breeding does, and to top it off, he wanted me to be excited that he would give me $10.00 a piece for them. I can't sell my breeding does, they pay for themselves and the other rabbits. And there is no way, I would sell them for $10.00 a piece. Some people :eek:

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
i have the same thing with my pet sales ...except I get....can't I have one for free (complete with sob story). If they can't afford a $10 rabbit how are they going to afford feed? But no...they want my more expensive rabbits...given to them for free..oh..and don't you have a spare cage that I can have for free too?

My response is......I"ll tell you how to make a cage cheap....good for a pet rabbit. I"ll tell you where to find feed inexpensively. THEN after you do that and show me...then I"ll bring some bunnies over for you to choose from for very inexpensively. BUT if you don't do the first parts...I don't do the second.

I've decided that if they live locally and want a bunny inexpensively then they can work it off. Come do chores and help for a week. THEN we'll talk.

·
OlivYew Farm
712 Posts
I get that too. Everyone wants my best show rabbits as their backyard pet. BUT they don't want to pay $10 for it (my show rabbits are worth a lot more than that). Some things that can help avoid this are: prominent "for sale" tags on the cages of your available animals or bring the available animals outside your main rabbit area for buyers to choose from.

I've also had people want my cages. I'm going to start building a few extra cages to SELL to pet people. They can have a slight discount if they buy the rabbit and cage at the same time.

·
Premium Member
4,549 Posts
Have you seen how much those nice hutches sell for at TS or pet stores. $$$$$
I used to get cages cheap at auction, do them up nice, add a water bottle, crock and pound of food. If you bought all that for $45, you'd get a rabbit free, usually a pet quality mini rex or a mutt that ended up too small for meat. Sometimes, it was a rabbit that I had given too me. After all, since I raised rabbits, I must want to have everyone's pet they're tired of, right? :rolleyes: Buns given to me got a cage on the porch till re-homed.

I'd also give a care sheet, with my name, phone and email a couple of times on the page. I'd tell them to tape it up on the inside of the door of the cabinet they would keep the food in. Funny thing, if you tell people to do that, they usually will, if you don't say anything, they'll throw it out. Also on the paper it said that if they ever no longer wanted the rabbit, I'd take it back. You'd be surprised how many people just gave me the rabbit, cage and everything, back in a year or less. Then, I'd sell the cage - complete with free rabbit (I would tell them the age if it was older, no one complained - it was free!!) again.

If I took the time to build a nice hutch, like those in TS (where they are $120 :O ) I could make a killing giving away rabbits. Free rabbit when you buy a hutch. I've checked, they take about $30 of top-quality material, bought in bulk, to make. If you buy individual components the price skyrockets. But if I undersold the petstores and only charged $100 I'd still make good money, even giving away rabbits (culls and dumped buns)

And NO ONE ever got to see all my rabbits, unless I was giving a tour to 4H kids. I'd put rabbits they could choose from in a large ground pen in the front, my rabbitry was around back.

·
Carpe Vinum
1,735 Posts
Yup one more reason not to allow people into your rabbitry or even to come to your home, they always want what they can't have. Have had the same problem with puppies, now I only show people the puppy that they came for or puppies that aren't spoken for, not the entire litter. One of the reasons I stopped selling pet rabbits to the general public(as opposed to selling pets at shows) was all the annoying people who asked if they got a cage free with their $10 rabbit, looking around at the stacked cages I normally have like their entitled. Only had one person at a show ask that.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
It's the whole entitlement mentality that bothers me. As though you, the seller, do not have the right to set your price wherever you want it. They're not forced to buy from you.

If someone asked me for free rabbits or cages, I'd look them in the eye and say something like "Now why would I want to do that?" I was raised that it is very bad manners to ask anyone to give you anything. If you can't afford it, you do without.

If they low-ball my price and say they have seen rabbits (or geese, or chickens) going for $5, I say: "What a great deal. You should buy them there."

Of course, it helps a lot that I'd just as soon eat the rabbits myself as sell them.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I think that guy was at my place about a month ago.A man called me about me rabbits. I told him my price, what my breed mix was ect. He came, he looked, he said my 8lb plus rabbits were pets because they were not NZW and offered me $5 a head for them. He new that i raised NZW/Cali/Champagne cross meat rabbits. i told him my rabbits were worth more in my freezer than that and he left very angry.

·
Incubator Addict
3,111 Posts
And then you have the opposite side of the coin. Since I am looking for replacements I have seen people asking outrageous amounts of money for rabbits. $50+ for meat mutts that averaged 5 to a litter. I very politely declined, saying it wasn't what I was looking for, and was "told off". Snork. If I had known there was a market at that price I wouldn't have been putting rabbits in the freezer.

Then I got an email from the local house rabbit people. Saying that I shouldn't breed, but they have plenty of spayed and neutered rabbits at the local animal shelter for me to check out. They were pricey too. And I don't think they would have been alright with me putting those ones in the freezer either.

I think the people you guys are dealing with need to meet the people I've been dealing with. They would just about deserve each other.

Kayleigh

·
Amanda
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And then you have the opposite side of the coin. Since I am looking for replacements I have seen people asking outrageous amounts of money for rabbits. $50+ for meat mutts that averaged 5 to a litter. I very politely declined, saying it wasn't what I was looking for, and was "told off". Snork. If I had known there was a market at that price I wouldn't have been putting rabbits in the freezer.

Then I got an email from the local house rabbit people. Saying that I shouldn't breed, but they have plenty of spayed and neutered rabbits at the local animal shelter for me to check out. They were pricey too. And I don't think they would have been alright with me putting those ones in the freezer either.

I think the people you guys are dealing with need to meet the people I've been dealing with. They would just about deserve each other.

Kayleigh
I think so too Kayleigh. :bash:

·
Carpe Vinum
1,735 Posts

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
I have a few people who think I should be able to sell a breeder for the same price as a Jr.

·
Registered
507 Posts
is to eat the rabbits you want from your rabbitry, and sell the ones you can to those in the rabbit biz that you know from somewhere like here.

So far, I can see no reason to allow anyone into your rabbitry, as you all have read here.

As I see it, selling rabbits to anyone but informed buyers or other breeders is pretty much a fools game. Money might be nice but there is not enuf money in this to do anything that puts you at risk. Better to put that energy into improving your rabbitry's efficiency, however you choose to go about it.

Basically unless someone comes to me thru word of mouth or reference, I really dont want to be involve. Someone from a friend or the board, thats different.

DG

Kayleigh

1 - 12 of 12 Posts