Something's really wrong w/my pig

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by FlipFlopFarmer, May 21, 2005.

1. FlipFlopFarmer

FlipFlopFarmer Well-Known Member

We have 2 york/duroc crosses that are about 16wks old and the female is acting very strange this morning. Neither of them has ever acted ill since we purchased them several weeks ago or had any issues. The family that we purchased them from indicated that they had all of their shots - I know I wrote it down somewhere but I can't locate what shots. You could tell that they gave the female one her shots as she had a couple of knots on her hind legs as though it went sub-q versus actually getting into the muscle.

This morning when we went out to feed/water the animals and the female gets up and then acts like she's dizzy or disoriented and she stumbles and then falls. She always gets right back up but continues to stumble. When we fed them just last night, she wasn't acting strange at all. They are in an inside pen that we clean and add fresh shavings to daily. No change in food and no chance that they got into something toxic.

What's going on???? I've read through some of my piggy books and I can't seem to find anything that fits this description.

Thanks in advance for your help on this one. I hope she's ok. :confused:

:) Carla

2. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

it sounds like an ear infection. Get a cap full of alcohol and pour it in there. Both sides. Giver her 5cc of penicillin if you are an antibiotic user.
    Give the shot behind the ear in the nect. NOT IN THE HAM. There are quality assurance laws about that. It will destroy huge sections of the meat. Even if you don't eat her, someone down the line may.

3. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

oh ya, give the antibiotic for at least 4 days.