Something killing cottontails????

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by trublu, Jun 14, 2006.

1. trublu

trublu Member

I was wondering what might be killing cottontail rabbits and only eating the head???
    This is the second one I have found and it was in with my great pyr and goats?? She had no interest in it and is around my angora cages all the time???

2. chris30523

chris30523 Well-Known Member

Your pyr probably thought it was a pest.My dogs do that too.They chew off the head then leave the rest to age....Then If I don't find it first they wait till it is stinky enough and roll on it...

3. Chas in Me

Chas in Me Well-Known Member

4. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Great horned owls do this. When we had loose domestic rabbits (not intentionally) we often found them this way.

5. ramonesfan

ramonesfan New Member

If I was betting my paycheck, it would be on an owl.
    They take what is the easiest to get in a short time and will generally get the head and neck. If you were to throw the remaining carcass to the side, they will come back within a few days to get the rest.
    A dog, or any other predator with size will take the whole body.
    You could...
    Place a high post with blinking red lights--this has been proven to stop most predators--or on top of the post, place a steel trap.
    I've use the blinking red lights and have not had a problem since I started using them. They have advertised in the National Poultry News and in some of the newer poultry magazines. The dealers are in Minnesota, I believe.
    If something is just taking the head and neck, that is what I would try first; that is a tell-tale sign of an owl.
    Owls are territorial; if you kill one, another will take its place. Personally, I would try and deter any owl and spend the money on the flashing/blinking lights. They have been also proven to be a deterent to other pedators as well.
    It may be just me, but I don't like to kill owls unless absolutely necessary. They are not some animal that kills just for sport.

6. RACCOON

RACCOON Well-Known Member

burp!!!It was a owl

7. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

I has to be headhunters.....be careful when you are out and about they start training on smaller animals..... :happy:

8. trublu

trublu Member

Sorry no bets on headhunters only if they take my neighbors away!!!
    I am thinking it could be an owl. I couldnt kill a thing but was very curious. Most domestic predators eat them all up.
    I wondered about a mink also. But the owl thing would make sense. Owls are cool.........
    Thanks.....

9. oldmanriver

oldmanriver Well-Known Member