Something is wrong with my mother's dog

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by ladycat, Jun 21, 2006.

1. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

My mother has a little dog named Dolly (3/4 chihuahua). Dolly is about 14 years old and reasonably healthy, if turning a bit gray on the muzzle.

She's spayed and never had puppies. She does not seem to be in the least arthritic, but she does have cataracts. She's been on a diet of high quality dry food all her life, and she has all her teeth.

Very recently she's having what appears to be spells of confusion. For example, she'll be walking from one spot in the room to another, or from one room to another, and suddenly stop and act very disoriented, as though she forgot what she's doing or something. It's very hard to describe. She seems very confused for a few minutes, and then it clears up and she seems ok again for a while.

This happens several times a day. It only started happening in the last few weeks. When my mother takes her outside, she does her usual "take off like a rocket after the nearest cat, barking her head off" routine. Other than those "spells", she seems her normal self, except she seems to tire more easily than usual.

Could she be having some sort of seizures?

2. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

I've heard of some old dogs doing that...it's MOST LIKELY just old age. Seems to bother the humans more than the dogs.

Mon

3. birdiegirl

birdiegirl Well-Known Member

It sounds like it could be Canine Cognitive Dysfunction: (Doggy dementia- similar to Alzheimer's in humans). here's a link for more info:

Canine Cognitive Dementia

4. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

I can't believe it's been a year since I started this thread.

Anyhow, we finally made the connection to what causes it. When this dog gets treated with a flea and tick product, she experiences the extreme confusion.

My mother sprayed her with dog flea spray a few days ago for the first time in a while. She developed her symptoms within hours and is just now beginning to get over it. The last time she had the symptoms (a couple months ago), my mother had put a flea collar on her. A few days after removing the collar, she started getting ok again.

The only time she ever gets disoriented and confused is when she's exposed to any kind of chemical pesticides.

We're never going to put any kind of poison on that dog again. We'll dust her with DE instead.

5. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm so glad you discovered the culprit. I dont' use flea products on my dogs either. You can also try some diluted lavender essential oil, or rub lavender leaves on her.