Something is wrong with buck

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by lscheopner, Apr 26, 2006.

1. lscheopner

lscheopner lscheopner

My son is trying to get his does bred for fair. We bred the buck to 2 does and after breeding the second one he started acting funny. He hunched up, kept licking himself and seems a little swollen. We were watching them the whole time and nothing strange happened while breeding. He didn't eat tonight and that is very unusual for him. My son tried to put a doe in with him and he just sits there and ignores her. Does anyone have any ideas? Hope we got the 2 does bred or my son will have to take some of my crosses to fair. Any help would be appreciated, fair is 100 days from today. Thanks

Laina

2. lscheopner

lscheopner lscheopner

Does anyone have any ideas?

3. awfulestes

awfulestes Well-Known Member

Hey, I found an article in the Meck Vet manual, about genital infections. Says a symptom can be swollen testicals. I believe this must be online somewhere and I'll search for a link to it. Anyway it is close to what you described.

4. awfulestes

awfulestes Well-Known Member

5. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Perhaps he injured himself while mating? Did you actually *see* the rabbits mate, or were they left alone in the cage? Is there any sign of injury?

6. lscheopner

lscheopner lscheopner

We were standing there the whole time. I wonder if he injured himself too, but what do we do about it. When we feed he nudges the bottom of the cup wanting us to hurry so he can eat. Last night he wouldn't eat, this morning some of his food was gone but he still had at least half left. I tried to get him to come in to eat when I fed this morning and he just laid there. Should I just give him some time or try to treat him? We will check him again tonight and see if there are any changes. Maybe I will keep a buck out of his last litter just in case.

Laina

7. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

Feel his belly and see if its swollen or distended/hard. Rabbits can get 'woolblock', its a condition where a lump of stuff, including hair builds up in their stomachs eventually causing blockage and death. They go off their feed, lay around and appear lethargic and unwell. I've had it happen to a buck after breeding him to a number of does, he must have had a block already formed in his stomach, he liked to pull out a lot of their fur during mating and would ingest a good bit of it, and it seemed that the extra hair caused the block to worsen. Not saying thats it, but just a thought. You can give them mineral oil, vaseline on their paws, cat hairball remedy. Papaya and pineapple are supposed to help break it up, and feeding long strand hay like timothy is supposed to help prevent it. Woolblock isn't just hair, its all kinds of stuff that the rabbit has eaten. Advanced cases are usually fatal.