Something is destroying my squash plants!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by kookie, May 17, 2004.

1. kookie

kookie Member

Help! I went out in my garden just now and something has cut off one of my squash plants right at ground level! It was covered in blooms! To make matters worse, there is at least one more plant that looks like its about to go, too. Could it be ants? I couldn't see any other critter in the area. If it is ants...what do I use to get rid of them? I have sprayed my entire garden twice (so far) with garlic/pepper tea. It doesn't seem to have much of an effect on the ants.

Any suggestions?

Next problem........one of my potato plants has turned yellow and started to shrivel up. What could have caused that?

As you can tell, I'm pretty new at this. Any and all help is greatly apppreciated!

2. heelpin

heelpin Well-Known Member

Kooke, I can't imagine what would just cut a squash plant off, I've grown a lot of squash and have never seen this, usually they just slowly die from borer damage, ants are not doing this unless its some kind of ant that I'm not familar with. Pull the potato plant up and destroy, this is some kind of disease that you don't want hanging around.

Tom

3. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Could it be cut worms?They chew plants off at ground level,mostly small plants that have just come up.Mary

4. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

Could it be a deer? They'll eat an entire plant.