Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the pile of sawdust on the side of the trunk the other day. Upon examination, there seems to be a couple fo small holes on that side, about 2 feet up from the base. There are ants and some small worms in the sawdust.

What do you suppose it is and what do we do now?

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
call your state forestry people and they will dianose the problem and will give advuse on how protect it from futder distrution. They work for you so why not talked to them.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Don't know if they're native to your state, but, holes in maple tree trunks may be a sign of yellow bellied sapsucker. Where I once lived locally, I had a large sugar maple in the front yard that the sapsuckers frequented. I believe the timing was in the spring/late winter time. They place small holes horizontally in a row usually and lap up the sap as it comes out. Hence the name sapsucker.
About the size of the hairy woodpecker but differing in color and markings.
Margo

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hubby says carpenter ants for certain.
almost impossible to get rid of.

He does lawn and tree care for a living.

·
Premium Member
23,892 Posts
Definitely an insect of some kind. Birds leave chips but not sawdust. Is the tree in good condition or is it hollow with trunk damage? Are the ants huge and black? And could you describe the "worms" better?

·
Premium Member
15,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Danaus29 said:
Definitely an insect of some kind. Birds leave chips but not sawdust. Is the tree in good condition or is it hollow with trunk damage? Are the ants huge and black? And could you describe the "worms" better?

I'll check with Roger regarding the ants as to size.

I don't think the tree is hollow although it is very old.

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

Carpenter ants(the big black ones) will do what you said, but they usually do it in a damaged area of the tree. It would be easy to see if they're coming out of the holes. It may be a beetle also. Check with your local DNR to see what borers are around.

Borers that attack sugar maple include the carpenterworm (Prionoxystus robiniae), sugar maple borer (Glycobius speciosus), maple callus borer (Synanthedon acerni), and occasionally horntajls (Xiphydria abdominalis and X. maculata)

Among the more important borers attacking red maple are the gallmaking maple borer (Xylotreehus aceris), the maple callus borer (Synanthedon acerni), and the Columbian timber beetle (Corthylus columbianus).

Asian long horned beetles bore into all types of maples...3/8 inch hole and these guys are bad news because they will kill the tree and go after other varieties in the area.

Lookup here to see if you have any matchups:

http://www.forestryimages.org/browse/catsubject.cfm?cat=7

The size of the hole(s) and the look of the area around the holes may be clues. Obviously, look for beetle type insects. The larvae(worms) you found should be analyzed.

RF

1 - 8 of 8 Posts