Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I don't post on here very often but I thought I would share something interesting with you. Today at church the serman theme was about Christmas this year and how it was for us and what our New Years resolution should be as to what most are I didn't think much about it like most I thought Christmas ugh glad it is over well after church I stopped to talk to a woman who's husband has been really sick over 2 years lost his leg to health issues and the site wouldnt heal back and forth for more then a year well he has been on the prayer request for all this time he went to a new Dr and they went back Christmas Eve and he was released totally healed I told her what a great thing it was and that what a special Christmas this was for them .I came home and was thinking about how Christmas was very slim for us this year and then I realized how different it was I had said earlier out loud that how I was going to do it different this year and ever gave it any thought ,it was very different ,I didnt worry about gifts and who was going to like it or not, I didnt have the money to buy any .There was no rush baking cookies etc...my oven is broken I didn't spend Christmas Eve alone this year like each year my husband rides the firetruck with santa so he doesn,t fall off making his trip around town to the small kids he had knee surgery the 23rd couldn't ride.We went to church Christmas Eve with our son for the first time ever on Christmas Eve . My husband didn't do over broad with lights, 4 deer this year instead of 8 .I even had a manger scene cheap as it is its there to show the reason for Christmas Point is if I hadnt stop to think about it to me it would of been just another horrible Christmas no money etc... I need to trust God and I am working on it he isn't letting up but I also need to see that He is working in my life and showing me He is there even if it doesnt seem like it. I never thought about it but my New Years resolution is to seek God and what he wants of me and to really work on the trust just like I have this year. Sorry it was so long but I just wanted to share it with you Lillie

·
Super Moderator
16,908 Posts
Every 5 years or so life kicks us in the teeth.

But, all around us marriages are breaking up, homes are being lost, and kids are being killed in accidents or by other means.

We are still here, and we are actually HAPPY! We are truly BLESSED!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Lillie,

It sounds like when the "glitter" is taken away, you have a truer Christmas - time with family, not rushing around stressed, spending time with believers on Christmas eve, and relaxing and thinking about God!

I'm glad you were able to see it for what it was... a very blessed Christmas!

I love your NY resolution! May the Holy Spirit guide you into all truth as you seek Him and His will for you!

Grace and peace!

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
This is interesting.

I had a similar sort of experience this year. ( I know this isn't quite the same, but I felt an empathy with the acceptance you spoke of :) ) I posted a while ago about having some hard times and some friends here sent some gifts to my DD, as those gifts arrived I felt something very strange. Someone said to me - don't see it as charity, and when those gifts arrived I had a strange feeling that somehow God was coming in the door with those gifts - I know that probably seems weird but it was hwo I felt? And then for a few weeks in teh lead up to Christmas I had some very stressful times and thought I would end up with a nervous breakdown before the big day.

I was short of money and looked around and thuoght there just wouldn't be the cash for any of the "extras". I never do a lavish Christmas dinner - usually Roast chicken and veg, but I usually like to have plenty of nice cheese and cold meats in the fridge. Well I ran into our minister in town and she said to me "you know, when you think about it, Mary and Joseph never made ANY preparations, THEY never even had a place to stay - but that was OK". That set me thinking, and I made up my mind that it was OK, we would have whatever we had and that would be just fine. We have lots of blessings and we must count those.

A couple of days before Christmas a hamper arrived on the plane from a friend of mine and contained everything that I had decided I couldn't afford to buy (he didn't know how hard up we were, just thought it made a nice present) I just sat and looked at it and couldn't quite believe my eyes. Somehow from that moment on, Christmas was blessed - I could see the blessing in everything that happened, and in every thing we had.

That feeling hasn't gone away - it wasn't the provision of the hamper, it was that feeling of "everything will be just fine", and it has opened a new feeling of acceptance in me which I can't really define.

Good luck with your New Year resolution - I am sure it is one you will find great joy in keeping :)

hoggie

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
Thank you for sharing!

THings have been really rough for us for quite some time now. I believe we are about to see a break through and some big changes and I am more than ready! God IS Good!

·
I am a Christian American
2,974 Posts
Seems like we and our family have been through a lot this year as well. But, when I look at the different hardships others we know are facing, I know how truly blessed we are.
We are in no fear of losing our homes or jobs, we have plenty to eat and share. Not much money but our bills are paid.
My resolution this year is to make more time for the Lord in my life. It is too easy to say I have too much work at the farm to be gone to church for three hours or to grab a quick bite from the frig instead of sitting down to a meal and thanking Him for His Grace and Glory in our lives. So, this year instead of vowing to lose weight, get healthier, save more etc, I vow to sit at the table with my Dh and thank and praise Him for our blessings, to get into town to go to church and worship Him with my church family, and lastly to pray more often. Thank you Lord for guiding me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts