Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past few weeks something has gotten into the sweetcorn. I mean totally stripping the ears off and eating all the corn off the ears. The stalks are still standing and broken off. I did catch two coons and relocated premantently and put up two strands of hot wire. This didn't even slow them down. I now have gotten a total of 8 ears of corn from 8 rows. There isn't any left to pick. The same has happened to dad next door. This is the first time this has ever happened to either of us. Last night dad set my live trap by his garden and baited with two ears of corn. What we found this morning has both of us scatching our heads. He caught a feral cat!! It had eaten all the corn of the cobs. Has this ever happened to anyone else or should I start looking for a shrink. This has really got us baffled. I think I am going crazy, or that is what the wife keeps telling me.

Thanks for you responses, James

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Most of the time squirrels will eat it still on the stalk, coons will break the stalk down and eat it, but sometimes the coons will carry it to the edge of the woods to eat it. If you have a tiller, till a couple of middles and look for tracks. Most all animals will eat corn but some more than others. Watch for squirrels early morn and late evening, coons only at night. Sounds as though its to late for this crop, but you will know what eat the corn and plan for the next one. :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
aliens,

Coons would be braeking the stalks I think, Squirrels aint ruled out, but the cat thought surprises the heck outa me??

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
i have even seen groundhogs break down stalks and get the ears...with my own eyes while it happened.

·
Retired farmer-rancher
3,021 Posts
My bet is on coons. Don't know about your part of the country, but here in Kansas we have a bumper crop of coons and they are very hungry because the late freeze prevented any wild fruit. One patch of my sweet corn was totally wiped out in one night (I had forgotten to plug in the elec.fencer). It looked like a real party was held.
One thing that does work for coons is a golden malrin cocktail. (flybait and coke). That and my dog and .22 have accounted for 17 coons so far this summer.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
A cat? Wow, that's crazy.
Dispatch the cat and set the trap again. There could be more than one critter dining in your cornfield.

·
Premium Member
23,588 Posts
I've seen cats gnawing on the cobs we've thrown out in the compost pile. I thought they were after the butter. Has it been dry there? Feral cats will eat lots of stuff just to get the moisture if it's really dry. One year Grandpa shot one that was eating the muskmelons.

My first guess would be squirrels, but that's because they ate all my corn one year and I absolutely hate the fuzzy-tailed rats! Just keep setting the trap and dispatching whatever you catch. Too late for this year and next year it starts all over. It could be deer too, those you won't trap and they just hop over hotwire.

·
Premium Member
2,193 Posts
We have had crows strip the cobs of corn but they don't pull the stalks down. They can sure strip the corn in record time!

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
turtlehead said:
A cat? Wow, that's crazy.
Dispatch the cat and set the trap again. There could be more than one critter dining in your cornfield.
i had an old tom cat a few years back (God rest your soul cuddles, lol) who always begged for table food. i was a bit tired of it one day while eating corn on the cob and i gave him a small ear all buttered and ready to go. the cat ate the corn!!! he ate it like people do, lol. he ate one row and rolled the cob with his paw and ate the next and so on, lol. i laughed my butt off. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts