Something else to check when buying your country homestead

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Shrek, May 30, 2004.

1. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

2. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

Meant to add to this, last year our local news indicated that 70% of the meth lab busts in our area were out in rural areas in usually rundown farmhouses. Considering that most folks on these boards want to find "inexpensive fixer uppers", this could effect homesteaders more than most sectors of society.

3. TXlightningbug

TXlightningbug Well-Known Member

:eek: That's a sad fact about life these days. I'd hate to buy something like that then have "customers" show up. :no:

Thanks for the warning! TXlightningbug :yeeha:

4. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

I just went through something similar when I bought our new place a couple months ago:

The folks who had the place lost it because they didn't keep up land payments. They took to stealing, illegally cutting timber and transporting it across state lines, and other things. They were still living on the place (illegally) until about ten days before I bought it ... and that's when they got arrested.
    The Drug Task Force guys took almost a Jeep Cherokee load of evidence - thankfully, not meth - and told us it looked like a major marijuana growing operation had been planned.

It turns out I signed the papers three days before law enforcement wanted to search the place. Needless to say, I had NO problem with that!

Here's what REALLY funny:
    One of the folks who was arrested called me on the phone and "wanted to get her stuff" out of the storage building on the property. I said "Sure" ... and when she showed up, county deputies arrested her on a half-dozen more charges.

5. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

smart work on your part, this is increasingly common, i currently am in missouri , and missouri is one of the top states for meth labs, not more than a day goes by before you hear about this lab or that getting busted, and yes, because of liquid nitrogens acessability , they are more common out in the country,
    i remember when i was up in ND they had had all the liquid fertilizers tanks refitted with these expensive locks, to stop thieves from stealing it for making meth , well, sure enough , the meth heads just broke the locks off, and thereby destroyed the valves on the tanks, in essence casing even more damage to the tanks , and more headaches to the fertilizer co.
    in fact one co, before i left state had erected a large lelectric and barbed wire fence, and hires a security co. that had attack dogs to patrol thier storage area ...... sad what people will go through to make illegal drugs, because they are unhappy with life , or dont know how to find thier own happiness without chemical enhancement .....

just my musings ...
    Beth

6. Zack

Zack Well-Known Member

I don’t think it would stop me from buying a place but I would definitely like to know about it, very useful in price negotiations I would think.

7. RAC

RAC Guest

Just goes to show that mandatory disclosures are not always a bad thing. But unless you are prepared for the major expense of razing the property to the ground, and probably getting rid of some dirt as well, no matter how cheap it is the property may not be worth it.

I don't care how well someone supposedly "decontaminates" something, the offending agent is still there. My children's health and my health comes first.

8. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

Okay, she makes the "stupid criminal" list!! :haha:

9. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

........................They .....probably bury ALL their Cash Money , like Bigrockpile....does... ;) , under a Bigrockpile. Course , Brp only buries his moola when he knows his MUUtha,inlaw is coming over fer a Visit.....fordy... :eek: :p :yeeha: :yeeha:

10. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

"I remember when i was up in ND they had had all the liquid fertilizers tanks refitted with these expensive locks, to stop thieves from stealing it for making meth , well, sure enough , the meth heads just broke the locks off, and thereby destroyed the valves on the tanks, in essence casing even more damage to the tanks , and more headaches to the fertilizer co.
    in fact one co, before i left state had erected a large lelectric and barbed wire fence, and hires a security co. that had attack dogs to patrol thier storage area."

Yet another example of how drug usage drives up the cost to others. Those additional costs are going to be passed on to their legitimate buyers - likely farmers. The farmers may or may not recoup them in their crop sales. Since the cost of production isn't related directly to the price of corn at the elevator, the higher production cost may drive out yet more farmers. If that creates a crop shortage, then consumer end up paying more.

Ken S. in WC TN