something eating strawberries

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by southerngurl, May 12, 2004.

1. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Some critter is eating my strawberries. It may be more than one. It was sudden. Yesterday I went out and about 15 berries (I only have about 12-14 plants) were either completely eaten, or nibbled. Today, even more. :( Many were quite green. The bites look like they are from a mouse. What can I do? Is there anything (organic) other than a physical barrier? These are the best berries, and they've been gettin eaten just as soon as they ripen around here. I want some!

2. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

How about making cages that fit over the top? I have heard making them out of chicken wire or stronger fencing.
    I would surely be looking down my scope for that critter. That's a hanging offence! :yeeha: .
    Kathy

3. lyteora

lyteora Well-Known Member

It may not be a mouse, I thought I had rabbits eating on mine cause they were half eaten or only a small part but never saw the rabbits near them, one morning I happen to go out early enough an found slugs! All over them. I have since moved the bed of berries and they are green now but I'll be watching for the slugs again. I think I have read about putting dicoutomus(sp?) earth around is supposed to get rid of them or a bowl of beer set level with the ground, they crawl in. Good luck

4. Jack in VA

Jack in VA Well-Known Member

5. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Sounds like a chipmunk to me. They do that here all the time :(

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Robins ate ours as fast as they started to turn red last year. They would take a chunk out of each ripe berry and go on and ruin the next one.
    This year I cut 4 ft sections of welded wire and made arches over the row. When we had a freeze a couple weeks ago, we covered the arches with plastic. Later removed the plastic and laid netting used to wrap round bales over the wire arches.
    Plan to use these over early garden rows next year to protect extra early plants from frost.

7. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Sounds like there ain't nobody that don't like a good strawberry :haha:

8. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

Possums!!! :eek:
    Well that just gives me one more reason for telling my hubby that I am glad he didnt decide to bring home that 'nice' injured possum that a friend had. I told him NO WAY :no: was he going to bring it home. They may look cute as babies but they can kill our chickens.
    Now I know why they have rat tails :haha: . Eat my strawberries and that be the death of ya.

I am presently fighting of darn catapillers they are eating my strawberry leaves....aaarrrgghhh :( .

Kathy

9. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

You know, I did see a chipmunk on a tree about 20 ft. from the strawberries about a week and a half ago. I remember him because he let me get so close to him. Those things are so cute, almost makes me want to let him have them :haha: I don't know if I will get any more strawberries, they are junebearers, and seem to have quit puttin on flowers, and almost all the strawberries they had were gone in about 2 days.

10. kosh

kosh Well-Known Member

My biggest problem with a critter eating my strawberries was my dog! She loves them. The next strawberry bed will be fenced in!