something eating our tomato and pepper

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by pcdreams, May 31, 2005.

1. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

something is eating our tomato and pepper plants. I'm thinking maybe cutworms because it doesn't look like animal doings. The tops of the plants have been eaten clean off (leaves) but the stems and lower leaves are ok.

What would kill cutworms? We try to stay organic. I haven't sprayed yet this year, but I typically use neem.

2. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I'd check for tomato hornworms, which blend in quite nicely with the green. They lay up agaist the stems, or grab hold and hang their bodies out and pretend to be a stem themselves. They have a tendency to go for the newer growth first. In my own experience, such as it is :) , cutworms are usually only a problem with fairly new plants, which get cut off at ground level.

If it's hornworms, just ignore the horns, even though they look dreadful, hand pick them, and if you have chickens, they'll think those are treats.

Meg

3. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

LOL I must have been sleeping when I posted that. Hornworms is what I ment.

Though I'm glad I posted because I had now idea how to find them and kill the buggers. Wish we had chickens but were still in town (for a few years yet)