Something doesn't want me to have any produce

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Rockin'B, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

....this year.

We have moved to the new homestead so this is the first year for the garden.

It's placed where lawn used to be. Everything was growing very well and it all looked great. Tomatos, corn, cucumbers, onions, swiss chard, cabbage, green beans, peppers, carrots, bunching onions, and dill.

I now have something very wierd happening. It started in the tomatos. I wnet out one morning and they looked completely dead. Just kealed over wilted dead. I saw a mole tunnel nearby and wondered if he went down the row eating the roots. Then a week or so later one of the cucumber vines croaked. Now I have green beans that are dying.
    I trapped one mole and haven't seen any new tunnels but something is killing my stuff and I have no idea what. I've never seen anything like this. It now has wiped out all of the tomatos, 3 cucumber vines, and now is working on the green beans. I cannot see any visible signs of any pest.

Is there a vine borer that could attack these three different types of plants?

Anyone else ever seen anything like this? It sure is dissapointing....

2. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

It does sound as if it were a mole.

3. jersey girl

jersey girl Well-Known Member Supporter

Im sorry, I have not had that happen so I don't know what advice to give. If it is a mole, has anyone ever tried one of those mole sound things. It is a box on a small steak that you stick into the ground. It is supposed to emit a sound that bothers mole and chases them away. I have seen it in garden catalogs. I wonder if that would work for you.
    It sure is frustrating to work that hard and then have this happen. Good luck, I hope you catch the critters.
    Joanie

4. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

I seem to remember Jerry Baker listing some solutions for ridding property of moles in one of his books. You might request a couple of his books into your library.

I remember my grandmother battling moles. They're tough little critters and seem to be quite territorial. Good luck to you.

BW

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Are they just wilted? OR cut off at the base? Did you pull them up and look at the roots?

6. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Sounds like grubs under the surface, eating roots. Moles eat grubs. It's time to do some digging and pulling and see what's down there.