Something big got my dog today

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Thumper/inOkla., Feb 15, 2004.

1. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

If you would like to see the wounds Jacob got today I put the better photo's on the photoIsland site below, he didn't like me poking around on him...
    aaawww mom, let me alone it's just alittle blood, ...... he let daddy hold for the vet to look though.

If blood and open wounds will upset you don't look at them.
    Jacobs left ear is torn some and from the corner of his mouth the just past midline under his throat.

2. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

What ever got to you dog will probable be back for more blood.

Be on the look out if you have other animals.

3. Dixielee

Dixielee Well-Known Member

From looking at the wounds I would guess that it was another dog, wolf, or coyote. All the wounds are on the front. Your dog was fighting with whatever it was. There was Some tearing which is consistant with canine attack. When our dog was killed by a cougar all the wounds were on the rear of the body, none on the face or front.. In other words our dog was trying to get away from what killed him. Just my opinion.

4. healing herbals

healing herbals Pam in OK

Thumper, how terrible !! With all the talk on the okie pioneer list, I am not surprise tho ! There are a lot of maybe's but I hope he doesn't come back, whatever he was, but the chances are he will. Be ready, my friend !!

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Do you folks have any wild or feral hogs in your area?

6. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Ditto what Agmantoo said. I remember you had tracks awhile back. Sure sorry to hear that Jacob got hurt Thumper!

7. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

Ditto here too. This looks like puncture wounds made by a hog. The tears look like they're incidental from the dog's body being lifted, while he jumped, when struck by hog tusks.

8. cashcrop

cashcrop Well-Known Member

I would also be inclined to think it was feral hogs aka wild boar. A guy I work with goes down there to Southeast OK to hunt wild boar.

9. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

After most of the blood was cleared up we can just make out small puncture wounds on his feet and on near the tear on the corner of his mouth. With the pictures enlarged it was easier to see, his neck is awful and oozing today, the vet said because of his car wreck awhile back, [head trama and coma] he should not be put out for stitches, so $85 later, it must heal on it own {yuck} he has pain pills {beef flavored} and 500 mg antibioics 3x a day for a week and Cefa-lak to stick up into the wound to wash it out, {yuck, yuck, yuck} and the big snot took off after coyotes last night, I had to go out after him to get him to come back. I have the doors locked to keep him in tonight.

I can tell it hurts him to move, he also seems to have bad dreams (he wimpers in pain) and there is a flap that hangs that I expect to die off, the vet said it may need to be cut away later, if he doesn't get an infection he should be ok.

Since we didn't see or hear what happened I can rule out any anything for sure, but I don't think coyotes did it because he has been fighting them for over a year with out a visable mark on him to show for it, and coyotes don't have mouths big enough to reach from Jacob's left ear where there looks to be upper teeth marks to the corner of his mouth on the right side where there looks to be lower teeth marks.

Steve has more than once picked him up by the harness he wears, along with Shadow, his littermate brother who is 10 something lbs heavier than Jacob (Jacob is 53lbs) hanging from his neck as Steve kicks Shadow in the butt to get him to let go. And it has to go that way because Jacob will not stop if we pick up Shadow. So, we think it's something bigger than Shadow.