Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are not certain who, but we are certain that it has to be someone we know. Why? Because Panda was still outdoors (she wouldn't come in because it was too hot) and she never barked at this person. It was 12:45 am-she should have barked at anyone who came up on the porch. This is the second night in a row that someone has tried to enter my house while we are sleeping-at the same time of night. Almost to the minute. Last night, we called the state troopers about it, and they think I am making it up!!!! We live a pretty simple lifestyle, we don't own anything that is valuable or anything like that. What anyone could possibly want that badly is beyond me. I believe it was a certain neighbor whom Panda never barks at. She doesn't believe he is a threat to anyone-she doesn't even bother to bark at his little ankle biter dog! She behaves as if he is beneath her notice. Everyone else gets a bark. It is either a hello bark or a get lost bark, but it IS a bark. Last night, she didn't bark at all. If this jerk hadn't had a flashlight, we wouldn't have known about him at all-my neighbors saw him and called us about it.

Tonight, I will be installing a deadbolt lock on a doorframe that can easily be kicked right out of the wall. This weekend, I will be installing a motion sensitive light on the end of the trailer that is bright enough to light up Joe Robbie Stadium. I will also be moving my 200 pound dog to the front of the house at night, where anyone who wants to get to my door will have to get past all those teeth. I will put her food dish right in their way-I dare anyone to touch it.

I have just about had it with the people around here. 2 neighbors decided to bring in their laundry at 1 am, just to see why the cops were here. One of them had the perp hiding in her back yard-we saw him come back out at the end of her yard after the cops left. It has to be someone SHE knows, cuz her dog never barked at all. As soon as I can get out of here, I am leaving. No discussion, I will sell the trailer back to the park for what I owe on it and get out. I want to be somewhere where I can see who is coming toward my house from a long way away. I'm done fooling around with people.

·
Homestead Dreamer
878 Posts
Ninn, keep your eyes open. I think I'd be sitting by the door waiting tonight and see if he shows up.

Brandon

·
..where do YOU look?
3,920 Posts
a vote for Tonya's approach here...

804 Posts
Tonya said:
I'd be sitting right behind that door, fully awake and fully armed at 12:45 AM.
Yep, sitting in my recliner at 12:45a.m., with the 12 ga. and leave the door unlocked for easy entrance. But that's just me.
Scott

·
Five of Seven
3,295 Posts
Did you hear about the guy who dialed 911 and told them he had someone breaking into his shed? They said they'd get someone out there as soon as they could, so he waited. And waited. And waited. :rolleyes:
After a while he called 911 again and told them he'd shot someone breaking into his shed. They sent someone out to his location fast. The cops were mad when they found out that he hadn't really shot anyone.
He was kind of mad that they were just going to let the thieves steal his stuff and take off with it. :shrug:

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
FourDeuce said:
Did you hear about the guy who dialed 911 and told them he had someone breaking into his shed? They said they'd get someone out there as soon as they could, so he waited. And waited. And waited. :rolleyes:
After a while he called 911 again and told them he'd shot someone breaking into his shed. They sent someone out to his location fast. The cops were mad when they found out that he hadn't really shot anyone.
He was kind of mad that they were just going to let the thieves steal his stuff and take off with it. :shrug:
This is supposed to have happened in Meridian, MS about 35 miles south of where we live. It was in the paper there so I guess it is something to it.

southrngardngal-Jan

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Definitely sit up tonight and wait. I would be afriad that he doesn't want 'stuff', but that he wants you. Chain the dog up, do whatever you have to. If this guy is known around the area, no one's dogs are going to bark. Catch the criminal in the act.

·
Thechickenladyxx
300 Posts
are you female, if so, you have something valuble. think about it. and be very very aware.

if the shot gun doesnt appeal, a baseball bat is always good.

and a motion light in the house is also good, so you can see him coming, and it wakes you up!!!!!!!!!!!!

jesse

·
In Memorium
15,516 Posts
RoseGarden said:
Definitely sit up tonight and wait. I would be afriad that he doesn't want 'stuff', but that he wants you. Chain the dog up, do whatever you have to. If this guy is known around the area, no one's dogs are going to bark. Catch the criminal in the act.
I was thinking the same thing. He might be out to get 'you'! Be careful!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Lord that's terrible! Whoever it is is an idiot to try again because you obviously know about them and what they try to do.

Good luck and I hope you can find out who the nimrod is.

Kat

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
I'd be sitting there too waiting on him......except I'd probably find me a place outside where he couldn't sneak up behind me. I'd just sit there in the dark and wait till he came up. Then I'd turn a really bright light on in his eyes and ask him if he felt lucky.......make sure he sees that shotgun though.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Ninn is there any way that you can make the area in your trailer inhospitable? I'm thinking of strips of wood with long nails that you could put inside your trailer in the doorway or strips of carpet nails inside of windows ....where ever they are trying to gain entrance. Hanging some jingle bells or wind chimes inside might help wake you up. Its not fool proof but its cheap and easy. A face full of wasp killer and they won't be going far and you can stay much farther away then using a baseball bat.

If you want a completely pain free way to wake you and they are attempting to come in a doorway you can push a tall dresser or the fridge in front of the door. Some jingle bells on all of the handles should make enough noise to wake you. In a pinch you can experiment with stuff that rattles and is precariously balanced on a partially open drawer.

·
Premium Member
6,012 Posts
Put your ironing board or tv tray something that is unstable and tips easily across in front of the door (inside) with something that will make a huge noise such as a bunch of metal pie tins, I'd use a cookie tin I have full of marbles. If anyone opens the door they will tip the ironing board over and it will make a huge din and hopefully scare them away. If not, Scott has the right idea.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
FourDeuce said:
One time we lived right on the City Limits Line.Had a guy trying to get in our house.I was on the phone arguing with the Cops which was going to come out :shrug:

Well while I was on the phone my DW shot the guy through the door. :hobbyhors Had both County and City out there very fast.They Blood trailed the Guy over to the next road.

Later on they found him at the Hospital with more wood in him than Shot.

big rockpile

·
Thechickenladyxx
300 Posts
ya gotta be careful about shootin someone, lest you end up in jail, and hes free. laws in this country are screwed up that way.

the noise makers are a good idea, and i love the wasp killer (careful he doesnt sue you for damages)

if you can get a neighbor as a witness, you can put a restraining order on him, and the police have to come out.

if you can manage it, go somewhere else a few nights, so you get some sleep, cause lord knows your not gonna sleep, if you feel like your gonna get attacked. then he wins just by wearing you down.

keep the dog inside, he will bark and attack, if his territory is violated.

hope it helps, and you get some rest from all this stress\

jesse

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
thechickenladyx said:
ya gotta be careful about shootin someone, lest you end up in jail, and hes free. laws in this country are screwed up that way.

the noise makers are a good idea, and i love the wasp killer (careful he doesnt sue you for damages)

if you can get a neighbor as a witness, you can put a restraining order on him, and the police have to come out.

if you can manage it, go somewhere else a few nights, so you get some sleep, cause lord knows your not gonna sleep, if you feel like your gonna get attacked. then he wins just by wearing you down.

keep the dog inside, he will bark and attack, if his territory is violated.

hope it helps, and you get some rest from all this stress\

jesse
They change a few things in our state

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/ne...90360BE9CF7CA0D08625730E001002EB?OpenDocument

big rockpile

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, it was a quiet night last night. My immediate neighbors, who are the ones who called our attention to the intruder, sat outdoors on their back stoop with a shotgun, a case of shells and a mag-lite all night. Nobody showed up. I somehow didn't think they would. We had been chatting on the porch of their house and I mentioned that I was picking up a gun that day and would willingly kneecap the intruder to keep him there until the police arrived. THEIR neighbor bolted out of her house and ran up the hill to another neighbor's house. It was VERY quiet around here all day and all night last night. My emphasis was very simple. My grandbabies were supposed to have spent the night on the night of the break-in. The 3 of them would have been in the living room. I will straight up kill anyone who harms them or put them in danger. I find it very interesting that as soon as that was "overheard" by the neighbor listening at the open window, that she had to run right up the hill without even closing her door or anything. She was in a big hurry to tell somebody something.

My issue with the police is that they actually accused us of wasting their time with something that obviously didn't happen. GRRRR. They were called away from a girl on girl fight at a gas station to look for an intruder. Poor babies-they didn't get to get their jollies watching the girls maul each other. We live just outside of the village limits, so the local police are not an option for us. The sherriff's office takes even longer to respond than the state police, because of limited manpower overnight. Good people, just not enough of them. The state troopers always act as if they are doing you a favor just by showing up -- eventually. It took them nearly 35 minutes to arrive after being dispatched. They were 12 miles away.

I am hoping to start fixing that rotted sill plate so I can fix up my doorframe and install a decent lock system. I am afraid to start tearing apart the wall-once I do, there is no going back. I am NOT the best carpenter on the planet, but anything has to be better than what is there now!!

On the subject of the break in, there is speculation as to who it was and why. A neighbor died about 6 months back, and her ashes and will and personal effects are missing. Her daughters are fighting like mad, and the will has not even been entered into probate. The man we believe was trying to get in is this woman's husband. He now lives with one of her daughters-the one who ran straight up the hill to tell people I was buying a gun. (i didn't yet, but you can bet I will) They believe that her will is hidden in one of the homes that she visited before she died. Funny how my trailer was empty for 2 years-they could have gutted it at any time to find out what was here. They are only interested now. After my family has been here nearly a year. After I finish my housework, I intend to invite the cow and her stepfather to search my house for her ashes and will. I have no illusions that they will actually try to do it. They will be way too embarrassed by having been caught. Even the park manager agrees that it was probably that family.

The whole thing was kind of weird. The first night, someone was on the porch in a thunderstorm. With a bright blu-ish light flashlight. They tried to get in on Sunday night, and woke up my son. His attempt to open the door scared them away. The second night, they tried to open the door again and the dogs were still outside. They were seen by my neighbors, who thought it was my son on the porch until they realized my lights were all off. They called us, and watched him pick his way across the porch, down the steps, attempt to access my husband's car, and then turn off the flashlight and disappear into the night. It took the police over a half-hour to arrive, during which time, my neighbors discovered the need to bring in the wash at 1 am!! (nosy people....lol) After the police did a cursory drive through, the same flashlight reappeared from that neighbor's fenced in back yard (which was never checked out) and lit a cigarette. (obviously no military training-even the cops noticed that, from the road) They didn't come back, just slowed down a little. This person picked their way through that yard to the driveway and then went back to the front of this row without the light. Funny how it all points to one person. My neighbors even gave the police a description of the intruder and who they thought it was. They never even went to his house! (not that it would have done any good with him hiding in the neighbor's yard)

I think the whole thing is ridiculous and stupid. People need to leave me and mine alone. I have had it.

·
Premium Member
26,565 Posts
I feel for you. Calling the cops about intruders is useless here too. Takes them 30 to 45 minutes to show up when you call about the kids next door sounding like they are killing each other. If you think they are looking for a will, I'ld search the whole place very carefully. They are wanting to destroy the will because they won't get what they want out of it. An honest person would ask to look for it. IMO, I don't think the will is what he was wanting. I would follow through with the shotgun.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts