Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rolleyes:

Ok realistically, this is just something SO STRANGE.

Soooo.. basically, my family's got some land up north, We go up there about once a month to go camping. The camping spot we've developed, on all 120 acres, is right next to my future home site on my 20 acre parcel.

So, I decided that every time we'd go up there I'd try and bring a bunch of stuff to for my future garden spot, as a sort of modified "lasagna garden" without actually planting anything. A couple weeks ago I saw an ad in craigslist for someone looking to get rid of a couple garbage cans full of rabbit manure. So what do I do? I pack my station wagon full of boxes and rubbermaid containers and head off... come back with a load of manure. I'd been expecting to go up to the property a week later so I figured, keeping some containers of dried up rabbit manure on my porch is no big deal. I was right, it didn't stink or anything... so I know it wasn't like someone was trying to get rid of a smell.

So here's the weird part - when I was loading my car back up again ready to go up to the property a week later, I noticed 2 of my containers were missing. One that was a covered container of old rotting kitchen waste, junk mail, shredded cardboard, etc. And the other was an UNCOVERED container of rabbit manure.

I live in an apartment complex in the city.

This is so weird. Someone actually came and purposefully stole some of my manure and a container full of rotting, decomposing waste. I mean, hey, I had plenty of it but seriously... who would steal manure from an apartment? Geez! I at least know not to have anything out there that I want to keep. WHAT A WEIRDO!!

Anyway, I just thought that would be entertaining for y'all... :hobbyhors

Oh, and I did get my initial "lasagna pile" set up and I took a photo... someday I'll start a photo blog of my progress, considering it'll be about 5 years before I can move up there AND I don't own a truck to haul large quantities of manure, it'll be a long process... heh

·
Country Girl
4,306 Posts
Maybe your apt. manager saw it and hauled off the uncovered bin and the waste garbage bin to keep any smell away - esp. if he didn't know that you were going to remove it promptly the next week. Could someone have complained? Most apt. complexes here are VERY strict about what they consider garbage.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I'm sorry, but I'm laughing hysterically, tears are running down my face! :baby04: I can see someone sneaking off with your bucket of rotting kitchen stuff and rabbit manure! MMMMmmm, what a treat! Hey, you can look to see who has the greenest, lushest plants in your complex! Dead give-away!

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
what a bunch of ....

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
Maybe the junk mail in the one container wasn't as much junk to identity thieves as you might think. People are strange and will steal about anything. Perhaps they stole for the containers alone.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Maybe some of your neighbors were looking to plant something?

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Hokey smokes! Is nothing sacred???

I'd better go post Buster to guard the bunny hutch. Those lagomorphs are manure machines, and I don't want anyone getting those precious pellets. :rolleyes:

Seriously, that is SO messed up! I'm sorry someone stole your goodies. :( Saddest part is, the person who took it probably has NO idea of its value. :flame:

Pony!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I bet they wanted the containers for storage. I have my recycling bins stolen all the time. They are old busted out plastic bins that have split bottoms and they disappear all the time. Luckily I have a ton of them, but still.... grr

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
COSunflower said:
Maybe your apt. manager saw it and hauled off the uncovered bin and the waste garbage bin to keep any smell away - esp. if he didn't know that you were going to remove it promptly the next week. Could someone have complained? Most apt. complexes here are VERY strict about what they consider garbage.
I thought about it but if I couldn't smell it there's no way! If I couldn't smell it, then no one else could... all the manure was already dry and the kitchen waste bin had a sealing lid so there was no smell.

Plus they would have not removed it themselves... no way. They woulda left me a note on my door like they did when they didn't like the desk I had out there. It HAD to be someone just randomly stealing it.

·
Registered
12,332 Posts
Betho said:
WHAT A WEIRDO!!
:baby04: Maybe they're just another rabbit poo aficionado :baby04:

from a strictly logical standpoint, I wouldn't have used the terminology "what a weirdo", because being in possession of something a weirdo might want, in some quarters, would mean that "I" was also a weirdo...

Of course, all of us rabbit poo hoarders, could be classified as weird. Of course, I consider my rabbit poo enterprises to be just another badge of eccentricity... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
318 Posts
That would be one of your city neighbors that was not too happy with your manure hoarding habits. You said that you live in an apartment so it might even be your landlord.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
i'd bet someone wanted the fertilizer

·
newfieannie
9,195 Posts
stealin your manure eh! black gold you know! I just came back from buying myself a composter for my new place in the city. everyone else just puts out their green bin for the land fill. just don't want the bother. I'd better keep an eye on it. fence it in or something .I'd rather lose most anything in place of my compost. ...Georgia.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I have this picture in my mind of John Belushi tip-toeing across the lawn (kind of Animal House-ish), giving that raised eyebrow when he spots a tub of rabbit turds.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Have t bite back a comment about were it went and the Current Administration of our fine country ;)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
texican said:
:baby04: Maybe they're just another rabbit poo aficionado :baby04:

from a strictly logical standpoint, I wouldn't have used the terminology "what a weirdo", because being in possession of something a weirdo might want, in some quarters, would mean that "I" was also a weirdo...

Of course, all of us rabbit poo hoarders, could be classified as weird. Of course, I consider my rabbit poo enterprises to be just another badge of eccentricity... :rolleyes:
:rotfl:

You are so right. That IS sort of the pot calling the kettle black. You shoulda seen the look on my sister's face, she was like :rolleyes: and I was like :bouncy: BUNNY POOP! WOOO!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts