Someone poisoning pets in N.E. PA. using antifreeze

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Jun 3, 2004.

1. It was on the tv station that someone was poisoning dogs in the pocono mountain region using antifreeze, really sick people out there to be doing such a thing like that, it said it does something to the kidneys. Anyone else ever hear of mean people doing such a nasty thing.

2. South of Forty

South of Forty Active Member

Unfortunatley I have heard of others doing the same. People with this type of mentality probably abuse their children as well. It is well documented that mass murderers most often get their start by tortuing and killing animals. Best thing that could possibly happen is for them to accidently injest some of their own medicine.

3. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Locally it is a somewhat standard practice to put out anti-freeze for coyotes which have been attacking yard livestock. You let your neighbors know to keep in their pets while it is out. Thus, don't make the assumption it is being deliberately done to kill pets.

If pets do get killed, perhaps it was because they were someplace they didn't belong. A couple of years ago a neighbor lost several chickens to what he thought was a dog. Waited up and shot it one night. When the owner was identified the dog lived well over one mile away.

Ken S. in WC TN

4. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

There are people out there that do this type thing. We are in Vermont and have had this happen a few different times in different communities around. It is an awful way for an animal to die, it makes them throw up nonstop and ruins their internal organs. The vet says it is extremely painful for the animal.

I am sure somewhere along the way the person who does this justifies it because the dog barked alot or when out of their fence ran through their flowers but killing an animal is not an option. We had one family who had an 8 foot fence all around their property with an alaskan malamute inside that fence. They went to work in the a.m. and happened to come home for lunch that day only to find their dog throwing up and listless. Someone had soaked meat in antifreeze and thrown it in to the dog. Hundreds of dollars later the dog is alive but not the same. The family no longer feels secure and the person was not caught. :confused: what are people thinking.

5. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

Soon-to-be neighbor lets his dogs run, eat up the neighbor's chickens (says the neighbor should keep the chickens locked up if he wants them safe. hm). One dog come home antifreezed. No great surprise. Would have been kinder to shoot the poor thing, though. Awful way to die.

6. i recently had a miniture dotsen die of anti freeze poisoning it causes kidney failure

7. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

You had a miniature car die of antifreeze poisoning? :confused: Do they even make Datsuns anymore?

Unless of course you mean dachshund.......

8. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

Shygal,

I once had a Datsun but it didn't have kidneys because it was a small , heavy foreign truck. I think unregisterd meant dachshund, i.e., weiner dog.

I believe Datsun changed their name to Nissan and wosseyfied the Datsun truck into a lightweight small truck that doesn't have the guts, struts or stamina of a Datsun. They were tough little trucks. :p

To get back to the subject of the thread, I believe giving any animal antifreeze is a cruel way to do away with them. The SSS method is so much more humane.

But, I also believe each person has to decide which course of action is best for them and their situation. I just hope a person would chose the most humane method possible when forced to do away with a nuisance animal because of the lack of animal control in their area.

9. Bob in WI

Bob in WI Well-Known Member

Anti-freeze may be cruel, but if your dog is running what do you expect? Not everyone likes your dog crapping on their yard, killing or chasing their animals etc. :no:

Keep your dog on YOUR property and you probably won't have any problems.

10. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Exactly! Keep your dog at home. And keep your kittycat at home too. Keep any & all of your animals on Your property!

11. Well, so the farmer is out antifreezing dogs?

I was watching snatch the other night, the villian was a pig farmer, he'd starve 16 hogs for a few days and then leg them eat up the corpse in a few mins.

Anyone poisoned my dog (it'd be hard, she's an inside dog...) i'd make a pig meal outta em!

Pets are funny creatures.. to everyone else they are just animals.. but to their owners they are family members. You really need to treat lightly where they are involved.

Anyone that hurts or kills one of mine just forfeited their right to live, or failing that, their right to not become connected to a baseball bat at the cranium. Plain and simple.

12. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Well, Unregistered, I certainly hope you keep your "Family members" at home and under control at all times. Because other people feel the same way about their animals.

As for someone forfeiting their right to live if they hurt one of your ANIMALS, I certainly hope you don't live near me...thats just insane to be willing to commit murder for an animal, no matter how beloved they are.

13. Bob in WI

Unregisturd said:

I think you are the one who needs the rabies shot, not your beloved pet, who you obviously think is more important than a human. Sick sick sick.

14. Fla Gal

Sounds like another PETA person to me.

Unregistered, if your animal is crapping in my yard and killing my animals, it's dead meat.

Please take your goofy attitude down the hall and try to find someone that cares. :rolleyes:

15. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

Well, yeah--but your dog isn't running loose, killing the neighbor's livestock, menacing their children. It's at home. If somebody breaks into your house to try and antifreeze your dog, get busy with that bat, boy. :)

16. Fla Gal

:haha: :haha: :haha:

17. Ken Scharabok

Same logic would go if one of their children were to go around the neighborhood killing people, no action should be taken against it. Society shouldn't put them in jail, much less execute them. In the case of a rogue dog, anti-freeze is about like lethal injection - just takes a lot longer and is likely more painful.

As noted, if you don't want others to take matters in their own hands, keep you animals at home. Even then, people with dogs don't realize how annoying barking dogs can be to neighbors even if they are on the owner's property.

SSS is fine if you are willing to also wait to catch them in the act personally.

Ken Scharabok

18. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I realize how barking dogs can be an annoyance to my neighbors, especially when they're barking at the neighbors or their animals. I make my dogs stop or go in the house.

19. Bob in WI

To those of you who have never had the priviledge of having a neighbors dog bark incessantly, try this. Find a tape of a dog barking and play it for eight hours straight,every day, for a month. You will soon find out why people kill others animals.

20. Ken Scharabok

Bob:

I once worked with a woman who ask her apartment neighbors several times not to play their music so loud. She resorted to putting her speakers up against the wall between them, turned in a goldie-oldie C&W station, turned up the volume and left for the evening. After that she didn't have a problem with them anymore.

I lived in an apartment next to a guy who would put his dog out in the small patio area before he went to bed. Dog hit the ground a-barking. Problem was he went to bed an hour or so after I did. I twice asked him to muzzle the dog and even offered to buy the muzzle. Got to the point before I would go to bed I would toss some Ex-Lax tablets over the fence. I overhead him telling another neighbor he couldn't understand why his dog was crapping all over his apartment. Ah, sweet revenge.

Ken Scharabok