Someone in East Texas, please help!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by WolfSoul, Oct 20, 2004.

1. WolfSoul

WolfSoul Well-Known Member

2. primroselane

primroselane Well-Known Member

I wonder what the world has the most of, black lab people or pit bull people.

3. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, since I'm in northern IL, there's not a whole lot I can do directly to save the little guy, but I can make a suggestion.

Around here, if it's a slow news day for the local news, they'll often send out t.v. crews to do stories like this. When people actually see the poor little animals on t.v., and hear of their plight, potential adopters seem to come out of the woodwork. People do like the drama, but mostly, they want to help if they can -- and if they can be made aware of the situation.

So, if you have a local news station, it could not hurt to give them a call. Not only could you get a home for the puppy, the spotlight on those pit bull "trainers" (grrr! nasty things! we hates them!) and their "business" could get shut down.

Just my 5 cents' worth. (Inflation, y'know...)

Pony!

4. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

I like Pony's suggestion. If you called the sherriff they should have a record of the call, making it (the incident) in the public domain...

5. Pony

Interesting question... Assuming you wonder if there are more people who want peaceful, devoted companion animals as opposed to training those animals to be nothing more than killing machines, I think the world is more full of good dog people.

A long time ago, in another life, I was a veterinary assistant. While there were many people who did not properly train their companion animals (not unlike the many people who don't set good boundaries for their children, but that's another rant...), the majority of people wanted good, loving companion animals. Even those who utilized those dogs for protection, the ones who knew what they were about had well-trained, highly socialized dogs. They were a joy.

Over those years, I can count on one hand the number of testosterone-laden jerks who attempted to turn their lovely animals into rotten POS' who did nothing more than eat, defecate, and kill.

I must interject here, that I believe a properly bred and trained pit bull or Staffordshire Terrier (there will always be a debate as to whether they are separate breeds) can be an excellent companion animal. But they must be trained by someone who can handle a notoriously headstrong herding breed.

My personal companion animal is an American Bulldog (often mistaken for a pit because of his blocky head). Buster is a great dog, headstrong but well-trained and socialized, who can play well with my MIL's little Beagle female dog as easily as he can tear up the fields with the neighbor's Rottweiler.

6. Pony

Any word on the pup?

Pony!