Someone gave me a stove!

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Jillis, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

It sounds trivial, but I don't have one.

We have been having some financial trials, due to non-paying tenants and empty apartments. I get so wrought up with worry that I walk around having adrenalin rushes.

This has happened many times before, and every time, God has not dropped us! And yet every time, I still worry and stew.

Problem is, both dh and I are so self-sufficient. We work very hard and think it is all up to us. How many times do we need to go around this mountain before we finally get it?

Someone from a church we used to be members of and still occasionally attend called us Saturday, and said, we just got a new gas stove, and we know you have apartments, so thought you could use our old electric one.

Now, I had one of those stupid big ovens that is set in the wall at upper chest level to me! As soon as we moved into our home a few years ago, it started giving us grief. The timer would start beeping at random intervals. You would press clear, and then five minutes later, it would start again, until you wanted to break this darn thing! This usually happened at about 1 AM too!
    So we pried off the top panel with the buttons and found the electrical componant to pull off to make it stop. When I wanted to use the oven, I had to pry off the panel and plug it back in! I had to climb on a chair to do this!
    Sometimes it would spark, EEK!
    Then the hinge to the door broke on the left side. So we bungieed it to the top of the cabinet. A real redneck oven. Now, I had to call someone eveytime I wanted to open the oven to put something in or take something out, or even test doneness. They had to hold the door. Plus, I was always getting burned reaching over this honking big HOT door to take things in or out at my upper chest level! I think the kitchen was designed by a 6 foot tall man!

I HATED THAT THING! When it finally stopped working altogether, I was so happy. I had my dh rip it out of the wall and take it to the appliance graveyard.

And the stovetop burner unit, which was NEW, gave us a lot of problems. They tucked in the corner so it is hard to work on, with a 6 inch slice of counter next to it for a workspace. People, I like to COOK! If all I wanted was a cup of tea or a pot of pasta, it would be fine. But I don't cook that way! Canning season was a nightmare! Of the four burners, only 2 worked after the first year---and those were the 2 little ones! You could push the burners in better and they would work, but you would have to wait until they cooled down, because the weight of the cook pots would loosen the connection again. More sparks, too.

So now, I am cooking with a half-witted stovetop unit, a crockpot, a rice steamer, and a raosting pan.

Now, in my book, this isn't a REAL problem. So whenever dh wanted to get me a stove, even a used one, I said, let's just wait until the finances are in better shape. But it has been another wear and tear and stress on me, managing this way. PLUS, I can't make my own bread, and I love to make my own bread. I do have a bread machine, but that doesn't make enough at one time to justify the time and energy to use it.

God really "spoke" to me when our friends gave us this stove. He was telling me that He saw the struggle, and that I was willing to put up with it to help our family. I never complained, just kept trying to cope. He was also, and this the bigger part, telling me that He wasn't going to give me a stove and then take away the place where I put it. Now I have more peace that the financial problems are going to be resolved.

I know this is a long story, but I wanted to share it.

2. Melissa

Melissa member

That is great. What are you cooking?!?!?

3. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

It isn't actually here yet, but the first things I want to make are bread, and a pot roast!

I've got to move the fridge to have a place to put it, and when I get it, the stovetop burner unit is getting pitched and I will put a piece of counter in that space! Workspace, right next to the stove and oven! YIPPEE!

Throughout our entire marriage, I have been cursed with teenytiny kitchens and no counters.

The last house we lived in before this one, it had a beautiful kitchen, big, loaded with knotty pine cabinets and counters galore. We only lived there 2 years. Now, I love our land, but if we could have moved our last house onto it, it would have been perfect.

The house we are in is a beautiful contemporary with many nice feature, a big balcony, a deck, a lovely granite fireplace...but I have a hard time with the kitchen.

Terrible of me to complain, isn't it? I am so blessed!

4. Melissa

Melissa member

Most people put little thought into actually designing a working kitchen. If you really want to cook, you have to have space to lay things out and work areas. Don't really need that if you are only going to heat things in the microwave!

5. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

What a wonderful surprise. God is always looking out for us.

6. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

Trivial my foot! I never got a stove for Christmas! :grump: Never got a pony, either, but they assured me it was because they didn't have enough wrapping paper for it.

Glad you're getting a stove, it sure makes living easier. :)

7. grannygardner

grannygardner Well-Known Member

Your new stove will be such a blessing. Hope this is just the start of good things to come for you.

8. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

I think it is great that you were thought of with love. One time, my friend Lisa, was cooking on an old stove that only had one burner that worked and had a huge hole in the oven, so they could never bake anything. She also had brain cancer and 4 children. When someone told us they had a stove to give away that year, (at Thanksgiving time), we did not hesitate, we loaded it up and went straight to Lisa's house to put in the stove for her. It was a great holiday, she baked a turkey that year. I remember how happy she was. She died that Spring and the children moved to live with their father. I still miss them so much, but we will never forget the joy it brought to their lives to have a stove that worked. Enjoy that stove !

9. countryheart

countryheart Well-Known Member

Granny G, that is such a nice story. Jillis, I am so happy for you. God really sends His blessings. Just in time for your holiday cooking.

10. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

I'm glad you got your stove! :) Congrats! :)

Kat

11. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Jillis, so sorry to hear of your travails. Come on over to the tightwad tips thread and tell us what ever else you are struggling with. There are so many good ideas for doing things frugally or doing things with what God gave you that it isn't even funny.

Let us think about ways to make your kitchen better without spending money. Lots of folks have lived with tiny kitchens. Heck, the best ones to talk to are those folks in New York City who have postage stamp apartments with kitchens that double as bathrooms!!!

12. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

That sounds wonderful! We had an oven element go out on us just before Christmas one year. Our appliance guy was able to hook us up with a replacement - a minor miracle as the stove was almost 40 years old!