Some turkey ?s from newbie

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by MTplainsman, Jan 5, 2018.

1. slingshot

slingshot Well-Known Member

The freezing problem I had was when the birds are done drinking there's a drop of water that stays on the nipple. That drop freezes the nipple shut. I would not have thought it was possible honestly.

2. brumer0

brumer0 Well-Known Member

As to why nipple vs open waterer for new turkeys, I always was under the impression it was bc they forget to drink but bc of their curiosity they peck and “ooooo there’s water in my face I better drink it.’ I don’t totally buy it but the one time I didn’t have nipple waterers I lost 70% of my 4 day old birds. Maybe a coincidence but not it’s barely any extra work to use nipples for a few weeks

3. hiddensprings

hiddensprings Well-Known Member

I love raising turkeys, even more than the chickens. I’ve found them to be hardier then baby chickens, have more personality, and command a great price when I sell them right before Thanksgiving. I’ve raised the BBB and different heritage breeds. From an income potential, I stopped raising the heritage breeds. (They take longer to grow out, cost more for the chicks, and my customers didn’t want to pay the cost per pound that I required to make any money). I also found it very difficult to keep the heritage breed from “flying the coop” as they say. Crazy birds loved the trees, the very back pasture where the predators visited, and were very flighty. So I only do the Bronze now. I get them in July, process the week before THanksgiving and they are all pre-sold and ready for pick up when I get back from the processor. The Bronzes stay home, easily come into the barn at night, and I found them more profitable.

4. aart

aart HOW do they DO that?

Yep, if they don't clean off the lip, or nipple is not tilted so it drains, water drop freezes around the spring.
    Heating the water in vessel transfers enough heat via the pin to prevent this until it get really cold(<-10F).
    Where are you located?

5. MTplainsman

MTplainsman North of the Hi-Line

I'm on the Daniels/Sheridan county line and a little below Saskatchewan.

aart likes this.
  6. MTplainsman

MTplainsman North of the Hi-Line

If I were to start the poults out with a nipple system, do you let them introduce themselves to the nipples or do you manually place each bird's beak to the nipple for the first time? Also, what about transition from the nipple system to founts as they gain some age? How does that work?

7. brumer0

brumer0 Well-Known Member

I let them figure out where the water is. If there is space I have both nipple and founts. At the very least have both for about a week before taking away the nipples.

MTplainsman likes this.
  8. aart

aart HOW do they DO that?

I've found day old chicken chicks don't always catch onto the HN's, so I start with open waterers too.