Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some of these ideas earlier from some book reading about interplanting two different compatible veggies. So far, so good, but harvest is a ways away yet.

The snowpeas are 'Dwarf Gray' variety interplanted with little fingers and a chanenay short or blunt carrot varieties:

Onions that were interseeded later with rutabaga. After harvesting the onions in the next few weeks, the rutabags will continue growing for several more weeks through a couple of frosts and hopefully have good sized sweet tubers:

Onions interplanted with spinach about the same time. The spinach will be shorter lived and ready to harvest very soon. That will give the onions room to further develop also:

On the deck are some planters holding marigolds and zinnias. This one is interplanted with red onions. They will be smaller, but nice to pick early. A few leeks are growing in other planters, but not as big as the garden leeks are growing:

just a closeup picture of how my 'Bubbles' brussel sprouts are doing at the end of July up here in zone 3. The tiny sprouts are visible and beginning to form. Shortly, I'll be breaking off those leaves along the stem, starting at the bottom so the sprouts will develop bigger. Lots of time left for these, and there are all stages of these that I planted. Many are smaller, a few are larger, so it should spread out harvest in the late summer/early fall:

·
Tub-thumper
1,588 Posts
Beautiful pictures, moonwolf!

My "interplanting" has mostly been limited to weeds coming up in the beans but you've given me some ideas for next year!

/VM

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.