Some people never learn!

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Wendy, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

This is long, so bare with me. We have lived here for going on 18 years. We rented for about 13 years from a nice guy. He died & his daughter got the place. We rented from her for about 2 years. She then sold us 3 1/2 acres with the house & buildings. She lives in Ohio, we are in Indiana. She asked us to continue to keep an eye on her property. Said if we wanted to allow anyone to hunt, it was up to us. We do let one guy go that hunted here when her dad was alive. He's very nice & gives us the meat when he gets a deer. My brother & nephew also hunt once in awhile.

Since I have lived here, there has been a guy & his son that want to hunt. We have always told them no. Even when the original landlord was alive yet. He said it was up to us since we were the ones living here. So, every year the answer has been NO. They finally quit asking & now just sneak in. I have called the cops a few times, but they have never been able to catch them.

My brother lives down the road from us in a trailer. He rents & his landlord also lives in Ohio. Same situation. He has run the guys off at his place many times. He called & they did get caught once. Of course they made up a bunch of lies & were basically given a warning. His landlord said she will prosecute next time. The next day the dad, stopped at my brother's & got in his face & threatened him. Told him if he ever called the law on them again he'd be sorry.

Well, tonight they were here coon hunting. So I called the cops. My brother came down to indentify the truck. I was pretty sure it was them & he confirmed it. So, a state cop comes out to try to catch them. When he got here, the truck was gone. It had been parked in the driveway across from our house. I am sure as soon as they saw my brother they knew what was up. The cop drove up the driveway & as soon as he got in the woods we saw lights come on. They had moved their truck & were trying to get their dogs & get out. I saw them up in the woods with their lights & heard the dogs running. They were parked on the the main road from ours.

Cop comes back out the drive & I tell him where they were parked. They had turned their lights back off. So off he goes. FINALLY!!! Every other time we have called the cops miss them by just a little bit.

He stopped back later to talk to us. Of course the guy fed him a bunch of lies. Said they were just retrieving their dogs. The officer told us the guy had his gun on him. If he was just retrieving his dogs he didn't need his gun. I also told the officer if they needed to retrieve their dogs all they had to do was stop & ask. They lie so much & have an awful reputation around here for hunting where they shouldn't. Told the cop that they were on someone else's property where they were parked getting the dogs. So I took a ride with the officer & showed him the property lines. He said they were clearly lying to him after he saw the boundries. So, I wrote up a statement & will call the former landlady tomorrow to let her know what happened. If she wants to pursue it, he said he will turn it over to the prosecutor.

I am so sick of these guys doing this. I think my brother called the cops on them at least 4 times last year. I do worry now that they will do something to him or his place since the guy threatened him. I told him he should ahve called the cops & told them about the threat just so they had it on file. My brother said he's not worried. I told him if anything happens or they stop there or come back here, I will call the cops again.

Why can't some people learn? Even after being told hundreds of times by every person on this road not to hunt, they still sneak in & do it. I actually hope she does prosecute them because maybe they will learn. I kow this guy's family & they have property they can hunt on. I guess they think since the owners are out of state that they can just do what they want. I am sick of people that do not respect other people's property.

Not sure why exactly I posted this. I guess because I needed to vent. I'll have to update if anything comes out of this.

2. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

S S S

:nono:

donsgal

3. copperkid3

copperkid3 Well-Known Member

+++++++++++++++++++++

The dogs or the "trespasser" who threatened her brother??? :rolleyes:

4. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Gives responsible hunters a black eye.
    I hope landlord will prosecute.

Trespassers,low life in my book.

BooBoo :gromit:

5. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

In NY, driving your vehicle (car / truck / ATV) on someone else's property without permission is considered "Vehicular Trespass". I've had similiar issues with folks trespassing over the years. The hunters were a pain in the back side but the folks with ATVs were even worse. Some of the local snot nose kids thought it was a hoot to ride their shiny ATVs through the crop fields which I had rented to a local farmer. Had the local sheriff give them an appearence ticket...it's a misdemeanor. The local Judge knew what was what. He would sentence them to 8 hrs of community service and levy a fine for damages. They usually found somewhere else to go after that.

6. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

Theres a hill back of our house, across a creek. we had one person that wouldnt take no for a answer. one deer season, while doing chores, i saw him sneaking up the creek. getting to the house, i made sure i knew exactly where he was, and started putting shots from my glock across the hill--each time a little closer! Man, could that guy run!! dangerous? sure, but i could see where each shot went, place was posted--and accidents happen! no more problems.

7. nwbound

nwbound Romans 11:36

ceresone
    I like your way of thinking lol as long as your sure where your shot is. In texas we have a right to detain hunters with out permission untill the game warden comes out and the game warden isn't someone to mess with here. He has more rights and fredoms to go into anywhere than any other law enforcement in the state. He could even go into your house without a warrant if he needs to.

8. JJ Grandits

JJ Grandits Well-Known Member

I understand the CO's in NY have the same power. I don't know anyone who would not blow in these guys. They give hunters a bad name. My gun club is have a trespass problem from one of our neighbors. The women who borders part of our property has decided to start clearing up the pine forest on our property. We have posted signs every few feet and she is just ignoring them and cutting what she chooses. We are trying to be good neighbors, especially in NY. All it would take would be some old lady saying how "dangerous" it is having a gun club nearby and good bye gun club. we have sent registered letters and actually caught her and a helper in front of the state police. She couldn't care less. Today is my day off and will be heading to the club to do a property check. Should be interesting.

9. the mama

the mama loves all critters Supporter

JJ, trees effect the value of property. If this woman is presented with a bill for the trees, she may stop. Don't be afraid of her complaining. Your club has been there how long with no problems?

10. hassette

hassette Well-Known Member

My MIL has 5 acres in northern NH. She posted many no trespassing signs around her property but the hunters just ignore them. She woke up one morning and there was a hunter standing right outside her bedroom window! At the time she had many farm animals, cows, sheep, goats, pigs, and she had to keep them all inside during hunting season. One of the goats in particular looked strikingly like a deer and once someone took a shot at him.

11. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Well, 7:00 this morning the phone rings. It was the dad. He was very mad. Here's the conversation:

Him: This is Nick, we were hunting across from your place last night & you called the cops.
    Me: Yeah, sure did.
    Him: Why did you drag your brother into it.
    Me: What makes you think that?
    Him: Saw him at your house last night.
    Me: He's my brother, he can be at my house. :D I just wanted to make sure I was turning the right person in. There is one person we let hunt & it's not you. Just making sure it was you & not the good guy.
    Him: I have a right to get my dogs if they go on your place.
    Me: All you need to do is stop & let us know that's what you're doing. If you don't stop I assume you're hunting illegally.
    Him: (getting really mad at this point) I don't have to stop & tell you.
    Me: Whatever.
    Him: I'm calling my attorney this morning & if you or your brother ever call the law on me again I am going to prosucte you for harassment.
    Me: Whatever, all you have to do is stay off the property. It's really funny how you are always hunting somewhere else & your dogs just always happen to end up here.
    Him: I hope next time they tree a coon right next to your bedroom window.
    Me: You better not set foot on my property. How old are you anyway? Two?
    Him: I'm older than you.
    Me: Well you should be old enough not to be running around in the rain hunting like a kid.
    Him: Well, your cousion is older than me & he hunts. Do you think that's stupid?
    Me: Yeah, I pretty much think all coonhunters are stupid.

Then I hung up. :D I really don't think that because I have brothers that hunt. They respect people's property though. His very first sentace he told me he was hunting across the road. Then he later tried to say he was just getting his dogs. I will be calling the officer back later today to let him know the guy called me. I want it in the report in case this happens again. And seriously, would he even have a case? If I were hunting & just retrieving my dogs like he said it wouldn't bother me to have a cop stop me. I'd just tell him what I was doing & that would be it. If he has the right to do that, why is he getting so mad? When he got caught at my brother's he told the DNR officer the same thing. That his dogs just happened to run there. He really had been somewhere else. My brother said he saw them turn the dogs loose. So, the guy is a big liar & I assume he is just trying to scare me. I guess I could file charges since he called & harassed me. I am a little concerned about retaliation. That's just how he is. There is almost always someone home here, so I'll just keep a close eye out. I'll have to watch my brother's. He is gone working during the day & then milks a lot of times in the evening.

I will keep you posted. Any thoughts or suggestions of things I should/need to do?

12. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

We don't have no Law around here basically so I just go down tell them to leave.I haven't had any problem.

Around here if you shoot over their Head or Point a Gun at them,if they want to push it they can get you for assult which is 10 years in Prison.But I have been known to do this.

big rockpile

13. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

I think you should borrow a big Back Hoe, and the next time he stops, SSS his pickup truck! :angel: O.k you couldn't really but wouldn't that be fun " what truck?" :shrug:

14. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

Take a heavey chain and a pad lock lock his truck to a big tree
    this is actually nicer than supergluing all the locks on the truck shut :rolleyes:
    a tire board works too if you know where they like to park on your property.
    a 1x with 2" nails every 2 " will definately send a message as well as giving four flat tires

15. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Quit tipping your hand to this guy. Each time you and or your brother run around, letting him know what you're about to do. Then it's invariable, you call the cops, he moves his truck, cops show up. Stop tipping your hand.

And if that truck can't move because a toothpick broke off in the door lock and or ignition, well, who knows what squirrel tried to stuff that nut in there.

Pictures work well also. Cops tend to like pictures. They make good evidence.

16. RoseGarden

RoseGarden Well-Known Member

If I were you, and I am just offering a suggestion here, I would definitely call the police, and tell them that this man called you and harassed you, and you will not tolerate it. Be firm about your concerns that this man may become violent or do something dangerous. Also tell them that you have warned him repeatedly about not coming on your property again without your permission, even if it is only to retrieve his dogs. That way he can't say he wasn't told or warned. And don't be above throwing in the female gender thing. After all, what self-respecting man calls a woman and tries to intimidate her? And I would also tell that man, if he should call again, that if he calls you back, YOU will press charges against HIM for harassment. Don't let him get the upper hand, because once he has you intimidated, it will only get worse, trust me. And don't be afraid to actually carry through with some sort of legal action if necessary. Some people are so stupid that that's the only thing that gets through their thick skulls.

I have been in a situation very similar to yours, and basically, being tougher and meaner than they are is the only thing that is going to get them off your back, and your property.

17. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

We don't run around tipping him off. My brother has a loud truck. As soon as they hear it, they start clearing out which has made it hard to catch them. Usually they come here when my brother is gone. They'll drive past to see if he's home. If he's not, out they go. When they hear his truck pull in his drive, they are out of here as fast as they can go. Sometimes parking on the property & sometimes just parking along the road between our house & his. And remember, this isn't our property, but we are the care takers. Hopefully will be able to get the owner to press charges when I talk with ehr tonight.

18. Christine in OK

Christine in OK Well-Known Member Supporter

Um, is an electric fence a possibility here? Not the kind for cattle, but I used to have one for my dog that didn't really do much more than give you quite a reason for pause if you happened to get hold of it.

19. MICHAEL B OHIO

MICHAEL B OHIO Well-Known Member

you need to tell the police that he is threatening you. tell them you want a temporary protection order to protect you. not sure of the distances but I am pretty sure he would not be able to drive past your house. it might be far enough that it would include where he is hunting then if he comes back it would be violation of tpo. he would be put in jail pending bond would be wakeup call. Mike

20. knight88

knight88 Well-Known Member

Time to start keeping a journal of ALL incidents calls etc, then you have a record that you can refer to. This means a lot if it ever gets to court. dates, times and a thorough record of what happened. When you speak with the police be sure and tell them that this clown is threatening you AND that you are in fear for your life. This provides a record so that if you ever have to blow him away you are justified. Here in AZ the sheriff is still a 2 day ride away so its SSS. Good Luck Andy