Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #1
Posted 11/19/20 9:33 PM CST

When it came around to me , most knew that when my employer retired me my yearly salary was around $60k a year but being salaried I wasn't paid OT but it made it possible for me to buy my house and ground so I surprised them by saying my best job to me was the $20 a day for 3 hours work job I had in my junior and senior years in high school because in addition to the $100 a week, my employer also furnished me a company car.

After a few "a company car for a part time employee" ribs , I said sure the company car was a 40 foot long Ford Bluebird yellow school bus but I got $100 a week and a free ride to and from school for leaving 90 minutes early and getting home 90 minutes late and i had to get a summer job to replace the $400 a month she and I got used to for 9 months of the year , but overall it was pretty good 馃槂

Then I said the really best one was my part time gig during the school year and 3/4 time during summer as a repair tech at the local radio and TV store during my high school and junior college time as I made money , got OJT and although it came with an occasional electrical shock, no real headache moments like the real job I groomed for

Sadly now that I am retired radio and TV repair is a thing of a bygone age, but I still get a few dead flat screens given to me that I can scrap and assemble boards from to cover my home TV needs. :)

So what do you consider your best job or jobs that got you to retirement? Feel free to be creative because often pay and benefit packages don't necessarily make a job the best of a life's career path.

Registered
Assistant building engineer at a hockey/concert venue. Got the chance to see college hockey players become professional hockey players. Got to meet some big name stars. Never did see an actual concert. Learned to drive a Zamboni. Had an awesome chief engineer. Had lots of fun.

Registered
My best pay job ?
A series of administrative mistakes And me being willing to work hard and take on more work led to my making $900 a night mopping floors TWICE that on holidays!
The most fun? Working for the government researching sites in the wilderness of significant Indian historic significance.
8 hours of work a day in the Most remote areas of Alaska while the government supported camp
Life there.
So 16 hours a day to hunt fish hike and enjoy!

Registered
Hands down my favorite job was while I was in high school. I worked summers at Six Flags in Gurnee Illinois. I lived close so could walk or ride my bike. What a blast. I worked my behind off and was dependable, which was rarely the case with the majority of teens. So I quickly moved up to the sought after positions and paying better. To be that age with access to that many girls was a great position to be in and the work was actually fun. Obviously, just a part time teen job, but great memories. It earned me enough money to buy my first car junior year, a 鈥66 GTO.
The other job I really miss is the shop I worked in as an auto mechanic. It was a small shop and if you worked hard you could screw and joke around as much as you wanted. The other mechanics I worked with were a blast.Wild,but hard working. Even though I was a 鈥渒id鈥, I fit right in and had a blast.
My jobs after that were great paying, but not really great memories overall, just a job.

Registered
Best job ever was not so much about the job which was still in finance, administration and bookkeeping but about the location and people. Civilian employee of the military but no office space available on base so our office was put into the clubhouse of the military golf club - for which we did the finances anyways. People playing golf - especially the veterans - are fun and relaxed. Beautiful views from our office and patio doors leading outside where we often sat to work.

Registered
Well, I鈥檓 not really retired but at 55 began receiving a pension check. I started at a county run nursing home as an RN then took many years off to be the mom. I started at the kids school as the librarian and teachers aide. Because it is also 鈥済overnment run鈥. My retirement years picked up where the nursing home years left off. So now I work at our nephews landscaping company as the office gal because it鈥檚 what I want to do.

Premium Member
Working at Sikorsky transferring blackhawk engineering from dimensioned drawings and mylar to

CATIA ..a cadcam design system. Sometimes contracting jobs can be kinda slow..till the program

gets geared up. I had the whole top of the helicopter to do and another engineer had both side panels.

Milford ct..a really cool place to live..

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #8
Posted 11/27/20 2:08 AM

I put up with 22 years in an aerospace /space flight development career in the sector to make the money that I put up with for 15 years before it became tolerable as I moved up to upper 5 figure salary to build my investments and buy my place as my early retirement goal came closer into view.

Premium Member
I was never in flight development..in product development. Usually airframe. The money was good but lord

some of the days were long. And I'm convinced working with a computer all day is not a healthy thing. I got

out in my 50s and was never more grateful to be away from all the politics and daily grind...

Registered
Getting to build a green field IT department

1 - 10 of 10 Posts