Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay everyone, as I've been hanging around in the forum this past week and falling more in love with goats by the second I think I have made step two into goat bliss. My husband and I have been discussing goats since our new addition Juan Pablo has come to us, and we're looking into getting him a girl friend somewhere in the not too distant future. I'm familiar with goats in general terms and most medical aspects as that has been my extent in working wit them. Revisiting my breed books I have decided to look at adding a nice nubian doe to our home.
Now Jaun is not a purebred pygmy as I believe and by what others suggested, the same principals should still apply with breeding him to a nubian and getting something that is close to a Kinder giving the uncertainty of Juan's lineage, correct?

I've always liked the looks and temperments of nubians. I feel that by adding a nubian we will have enough milk for my husband and myself to drink and make cheese from, and have cheese for relatives as well. I have milked goats in the past, for other people, but what equipment will I need asides from a bucket and a strainer? I prefer raw milk also. I completely understand the sanitation of the udder and teat, so that is no big deal.

I have also considered purchasing a Kinder, but I don't know anyone around here who has them. Also my concern is will the pymgy in Jaun be too much for the Kinder doe and kid in terms of size (Juan is underweight now while recovering, I believe he'll top off at 85lbs) and genetic balance?(i.e. too much pygmy) I want small to medium, with good butterfat yield, and a good bag and teats. I feel I will loose this if I were to breed him to a Kinder. Nubian look like the better way to go.

Please share your thoughts with me on this and milking. I've done a ton of research in the past week and feel much more comfortable with the schedule of milking a doe and feel this would be a direction worth our efforts. Any help is appreciated. Thanks! :baby04:

-Kristen

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of goats!

Get yourself a good producing Nubian. Some lines of Nubians are not highly productive so look around. Some are really awesome. Vicki and others on here knows the lines and may be of assistance in that regard. I would think the buck you have would be fine at this point. I am not familiar with pygmies or Kinders however, but do not see a problem in using him as a buck to produce Kinder-like offspring or even just freshening the Nubian to produce milk. I imagine you would get a smaller stockier goat with a bit less milk from the resulting doelings when they mature if you milk them, but I guess that is what a Kinder is, maybe someone here knows a bit more.

I use a strainer I made myself. I cut off the top 4-6 inches of a 2-3 liter soda pop bottle, turned it upside down like a funnel and covered the small end with a peice of cheese-cloth-like material, anything milk can run through, and pup a rubberband on to hold it. Easy to take apart and drop in bleach water.

You do not need a bunch of expensive stuff for home milking. Just accumulate it as you go along. Keeping your milk clean and cold is the main thing as well as milking the udder out completely each time and maintaining good udder and utensil hygeine.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Diane. I love the soda bottle idea! Thanks for helping me confirm the nubian, I think this is the route I will be taking. I will definitely look to gather info on nubians and kinders from other folks that can offer more speicific info. thanks for the recomendation. Thanks also for your thoughts and suggestions, this is very helpful to a newbie to goats like myself :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts