Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on making our soap in a day or so. I have the last clothes soap container and will use that. One thing i want to know is how do i get the suds out of it,i used cold water a few times and it is a liquid and is 150 fluid ounces. How much items will i need to make most of the jug full. I am using 1 bar of Fels Naptha soap,Arm and Hammer Washing Soap and Borax. I have read 1/3 bar of soap grated,1/2 cup of soap and borax and also seen like bar of soap and 1 cup of each. Any info will be helpful and thanks

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
I'm assuming you're making laundry soap. I normally make about 4 1/2 gallons at a time in a 5 gallon bucket. I use 1 cup of borax, 1 cup washing soda and 1 bar of soap. Your container is a little larger than a gallon (128 oz is a gallon), so I would think you would need about 1/3 to 1/4th of each. You would then almost fill the container with hot water put the lid on it tightly and shake well, then let it sit for the bubbles to go down.

If you've never used home made soap before, it can be a little lumpy (sort of like snot). I've found that if I mix about 1/2 gallon of laundry detergent (I usually use Ecos) into my 5 gallon bucket, it will help prevent this and make the soap more fluid like.

Dawn

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Yes i am wanting to make laundry soap. So do i heat all of the stuff up on the stove or just use hot water and shake it? THANKS

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
Often I grate my soap into a pot of water just before bed and let it sit overnight, then in the morning it dissolves quickly when I heat the water up on medium heat. After it dissolves I add the other ingredients and make sure they are mixed well before turning off the burner. Then I put it in a 5 gallon bucket that I add hot water to fill. Since you are doing a smaller batch, you should be able to heat it all on the stove.
Dawn

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So after i fix it on the stove so i need to leave it out for 24 hrs before i put it in the container?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I made some last night(Thursday). I messded up i added about 1/2 a cup more of the soap or Borax and added more of the other,for some reason could not remember which 1 i did so i added 1/2 cup of the other(i hope anyway. Will use it this weekend

1 - 6 of 6 Posts