Some imput please

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by ozarkyehti, Mar 29, 2005.

1. ozarkyehti

ozarkyehti Well-Known Member

What kind of plant would you use?

I am wanting to plant a semi-fast to fast growing hedge or something to block the view of all the junk my neighbor collects and justs dumps on his property.

My home faces this mess and would like to plant something to block the view. Of course, he puts the junk where it's not seen from the front of his house!!

Our property and his are divided by a barbed wire fence,over the fence is his 2 poorly taken care of horses in a field.

You must understand, He and I share a private road, we try to get along with them the best we could and don't want to cause problems, so the best thing I could think of is to plant something to block the view.

I thought about Evergreens like blue spruce ect. but they grow much to slowly.

Maybe Rose Of Sharon or Box Elder. Something that blooms would be great, but I was thinking today that an evergreen of some kind would probably be better so it would block the view in the winter also.

I'm in Missouri, I think thats zone 5, just an hour outside St. Louis

Any in-put and help would be appriciated.

2. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Our regular privet hedge (I believe that's what they are) stay leafed all year here in North Arkansas.

3. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

How about Lilacs?

4. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

arbohorvita (sp?) if you plant them close together and WATER like crazy they grow purty fast

5. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Lilacs are nice as would be forsythia. For a really quick growing hedge plant autumn olive....easily pruned into any height,size you want and the birds enjoy the berries come winter. Within 4-5 years it can be tree size if you don't prune...plus it is sorta picky to keep unwanted visitors out of your yard. DEE

6. jlxian

jlxian Also known as Jean Supporter

arborvitae or australian willows (if they won't be close to a building)

We planted arborvitae along our fence row to block the view of the neighbor -- they are doing okay, but it took at least 5 years for them to do the job. If we had watered them faithfully they would probably have done better faster.

Our australian willows grew extremely fast and they would be a great view blocker -- but they do lose their leaves in the winter.

I'm in SW Missouri -- zone 6.

Come to think of it, go dig up some good old Missouri red cedar trees and transplant them. They grow fast and would do a great job of blocking the view AND would be free!