some friends want us to rent their house.

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by cindyc, Dec 16, 2006.

1. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

Our lease here is up in March. I said I was not going to move in the middle of another school year, but March is when they would need us. The house is TWICE as big as this one, and it is on three acres that are set up for chickens, a cow, a garden etc...

I am sort of inclined to do it. It would give us an opportunity to discover if we can really do this homesteading life BEFORE we buy something. We have not gotten animals here, because we felt it would be irresponsible to do that if we did not know where we were going next (and so did not know if we could support the animals.) We could go ahead and get some animals now, because we have 2 fenced acres for them if we knew that we would have a place to move them to.

This family left all of their farm "stuff" there that we would be able to use... a tiller, a washing machine chicken-picker, a couple of pastured poultry moveable pens, a hen house, a concrete block shop with electric, a small barn... It is all fenced, too. They want us there because they want some one who will USE the place.

What do ya think?

The only drawback is well, being in business with friends. I don't pretend that that isn't a BIG deal. But they lived with us once when they needed a place to be for about 6 months, and we have been friends for YEARS AND YEARS. They have no illusions about who we are. EVEN SO, I would hate to lose them over a house, so I am trying to hold back my excitement at the possiblities.

2. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
    I would be very wary of any situation like this. Stuff happens. Equipment gets broken. Financial things, mostly. I would hate to lose a friendship over anything. The grief can be hard to get over.

Plus, you would just get things going, and then they decide to move back in AFTER all your hard work. It's just a pain in the neck. Been there, done that.

I would not do it. But, that's just me.

I don't know how old you are, but I would think it better to go for it, get your OWN place, even if it's small, then whatever you do with it--it's yours, it's paid for. It's a much better feeling. You can still change your mind and sell out. But you won't have to deal with somebody else about it.

3. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

I think you must know inside if it might work or not. If you decide to go for it, I'd say write everything down so there are no misundertandings. Write down what the rent is, what other responsibilities are yours and what is theirs. I'd also want a clause about what happens and how fast IF they decide to move back there or if they decide to sell the place. Maybe you could have a right of first refusal if they want to sell.
    How long are they planning on keeping the place with you in it? That would have a bearing on how many animals you want to get. If you get several and find you have to move a year from now, for instance, will you be able to find another place or buy your own place where you can have all of them or will you have to give them up.
    Why aren't they selling the place now if they don't want to live in it?
    I'd talk, talk, talk, and put it all down in writing, even maybe a contract, if things seem good.
    Ann

4. Ann-NWIowa

Ann-NWIowa Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with Ann - talk it over carefully and then get everything in writing. I'd also ask for a official lease so if they want to sell the place it will be subject to your lease.

It is hard to decide to put your life on hold until you have your own place, but you've been wise in not accumulating animals when you've been unsure where you'll be in a few months. It is also a good idea to try the homestead life before you buying into a lifestyle you end up hating.

Also, do your friends actually own this place or does it belong to some of their family members. If so, be sure you're getting the low down and lease etc. from the proper owners. This could go horribly wrong if you don't have things straight to begin with. I've known of many verbal agreements to rent an acreage from some old farmer, who then dies and his family sells the place out from under the renters. Some even have had a verbable purchase agreement or rent to buy arrangement but the family either didn't know or decided not to honor. On occasion the old farmer has to go into a nursing home and the place must be sold to pay his way. Lots and lots of ins and outs to check out.

5. patnewmex

patnewmex Jane of all trades

An official lease should be drawn up by both parties, or at least be something both parties can agree upon. Should be signed and dated. Do NOT move in without the basics in writing and make sure everyone knows up front what the drawbacks are, etc. I'd be inclined to say no myself.

Pat

6. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

Some good thoughts, Ann. :)
    They want us there for at least two years (which would work out well if we are building somewhere). They aren't selling it because they work overseas in the world food program. They want something to come home to when they come home in a few years. Our thought is that we would have time to build while living in a comfortable place, and we would be able to move our animals onto where we build after we move. That is what we are thinking about anyway. I know many people on this board rough-it to build, but I have decided that this is not high on my priority list with five children. The catch is, we may not decide to stay in the area, and then we are just spinning our wheels, I guess. But we would know for sure if we REALLY want to do this homesteading thing before we invest everything we have in it, I suppose. Hmm... Ponder, ponder...
    Cindyc.

7. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

They own it. No family involved. :)

8. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

I think they would do that. They probably would WANT to do that. Yes, I agree that a lease is a good plan if we proceed.

I am not really worried about them moving back right now. They are sort of on the advenure of a lifetime, but you never know I guess. Anyway, that is one of the reasons they want us there. They trust us, and they won't have to worry about the place the way they would with a stranger. They are afraid of getting into a difficult situation they can't control since they are so far away (if they lease to the wrong person). If somebody trashes the place, it is not like they can drive across town and deal with it.

Cindyc.