Some baking hints.

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Trevilians, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Trevilians

Trevilians Well-Known Member

I just finished doing most of my Christmas baking and thought, while they are still fresh in my mind, I'd pass along a few hints for making things a little easier.

First thing I do is full the sink with hot soapy water. Then I pull out all my ingredients and place them on my left on the counter. After I've measured out the ingredient, I put it away. This not only helps with the clean-up, but lets me know if I'm missed putting something in the recipe.

I use the liner from a cereal box to sift my flour on. This is study and keeps practically forever. When finished, I fold it up and store it in my sifter.

I don't wash my measuring utentials unless I've used them for something wet. I just knock them on the side of the bowl and put them away.

When I use something that needs washing, I just dump in right in my soapy water in the sink. By the time I'm ready to wash up most things have already soaked clean.

When baking I always make sure the oven is up to temp, but do turn the oven off 5 or 10 minutes and the end.

Spills wipe up better when they're still fresh.

I purchase my flour in 25 lb. bags. When I get it home, I divvie it up into five gallon zip lok bags. I mark on the bags "1 of 5", "2 of 5", etc. and stack them in the freezer in order. By the time I'm down to "4 of 5", I know it's time to purchase more flour.

One 24 oz. container of corn meal will make six batches of corn muffins (see my post under "Frugal things done". While I was waiting for my baking to be done, I made up six batches of corn muffin mix, stored them in a zip-lok bag and stashed them in the freezer. I do this pre-mixing thing with lots of things I bake like brownies, pancake mix, coffee cakes, etc. When I need a mix, it's ready in the freezer and I don't have to pull out the sifter, measuring tools, etc.

My house smells so nice and cinammony and the kitchen is warm from the stove. It's a good thing!

2. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Feeling like Martha Stewart, are we? :)

3. via media

via media Tub-thumper

Those are really good tips!

I like to set out the ingredients before I begin so I am certain I have enough of everything before I begin.

/VM

4. Countrystyle

Countrystyle Well-Known Member

Have you been looking over my shoulder? haha That's the way I cook. Makes things so much faster and easier. Right down to the measuring spoon...

5. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Before I put any ingredients away, I always wipe the container down with a damp cloth-especially the bottom. That keeps my cupboards clean and discourages bugs and varmints.

6. idontno

idontno Well-Known Member

5 gallon bags......

7. Trevilians

Sorry, I should have said 5 one gallon bags. I can fit 25 lbs. of flour in 5 one gallon bags. LOL

8. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

Very good tips! :)

I always preheat my oven for about 15 minutes, it's pretty old and it gets it nice and hot for the food. If you have an older stove you can cook the food about 5-10 degrees higher and it shaves 5 minutes off your cooking time.

Kat

9. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

After just finishing mixing up five kinds of cookies I say find a good bakery!!! Now to convince DH to help bake 'em...he usually will but tends to eat too much product along the way!!! DEE

10. Miz Mary

Miz Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Flour in the FREEZER ??????? new to me !!!!!

11. Trevilians

Flour in the freezer eliminated the concern of bugs in your flour. I keep all kinds of things in the freezer. Corn meal, potato chips, boxed cereal, but especially flour.

12. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

I like to sift the dry ingredients for multiple batches of cookies all at the same time and stash the dry sifted part of single batches of cookies in a gallon baggie with the name of the cookie on it (doubling recipes doesn't always work well). That way all I have to do when I get time to bake is measure the shortening and sugar into the mixer, mix, add eggs and flavoring, mix, add sifted dry mixture from the baggie, mix, and I have "instant" dough.

When I really start to run short on time, I pre-measure the sugar and shortening into little bowls and label them in some fashion. Then I only have to dump that into the mixer, add eggs and flavoring and the dry ingredients and I have even quicker dough.

Now if I could just figure out a faster way to bake the cookies . . .

Happy cookie baking!

MaryNY

13. Trevilians

I mix up a batch of cookies, drop by spoonfuls onto a baking tray and freeze. Once frozen, remove cookie dough and place in a zip lok bag. When I want cookies, I take out as much as I need, let them thaw somewhat and bake as usual.