Some advice please

Discussion in 'Goats' started by ChickenMom, Jan 15, 2007.

1. ChickenMom

ChickenMom Well-Known Member

It has rained over 10 inches and everything is soaked, all sheds, barns, everything. It is still raining and is supposed to start freezing today (the temperature tonight will be in the 20's). We put pallets in all the sheds and barns so the animals could get up out of the wet. Here's my question, I have 3 Pygmy babies and I need to know how much cold they can take - that would be cold mixed with wet. One is only 4 days old the other 2 are 4-5 weeks. The coldest weather they have been in is about 50* and it hasn't been wet until now. Should I put them together tonight in a pet carrier or leave them with their moms? If I do put them up, should I put them in the house where it is real warm or in a closed shed with a floor that is warmer than their shed but not as warm as the house?
    Thanks for any help and advice...Lorrie

2. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

Look for "something that might come in handy" by Ozark Jewels here on the front page. Its a great idea and may help you out.

Man..that's a heck of alot of rain. I wish you and your "kids" well.

3. ChickenMom

I put down pallets but I'm worried about the cold.

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

This is a hard one and we are having the same weather, just don't have kids *yet*. If there is any way to give the kids and mothers *dry* bedding to snuggle in, I'd certainly leave them with their dams. They will stay warmer being able to snuggle with mom and nipping a bite whenever they want it. A full tummy is a warm kid.
    If everything is wet and they will only have naked pallets to sleep on, I think I'd put them in the dry shed. Is there any way you could put them and their mothers in the shed for the night??

5. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Cold I wouldn't worry too much about; cold and wet is another story. They need to be able to be dry. The idea of putting them and their dams in a dry place is an excellent one, if at all feasible. I'm thinking a dry place in the shed is preferable to bringing them in, since they need to stay acclimated to the colder air outside. If the babies can snuggle up, I don't think it's a big deal for them to be away from their dams just for the night. Of course, my goats are Nubians, not Pygmies, but I don't know that they let their kids nurse at night much, anyway.
    mary

6. ChickenMom

I've only had these goats for a little over a month and our other goats are Boers, Nubians, and Alpines. These are so tiny! We have an open ended area on our garage that the stock trailer is in, I'm thinking of just running some wire across the opening and putting them all in there. That way they can all be together, I don't think there is anything in there that could hurt them. This is where they are, everything is a pond.

[​IMG]

7. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Put bedding in your stock trailer and put them in there. They don't need more room than that,it would be dry and up out of the rain.

8. ChickenMom

Well duh!
    Nothing like being brainless is there.

9. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

LOl.. it's all that rain...it's making us all crazy. :) Your yard looks like mine and I am high like you...I would hate to be in any of the lower parts.