some advice please

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by brierpatch1974, Jun 1, 2006.

1. brierpatch1974

brierpatch1974 Well-Known Member

I am looking to start a small herd of miniature cows. I guess I should state my uses before I ask what breeds to get. I would like to have at least one milker <have milk goats now too> and I would like to raise my own beef for the rest. What breed would be best for me to get? or maybe cross breeding a bull to a certain breed of cow would be fine too.
    I really like the miniature long horns but don't think they would be good for milking plus they are way to expensive for me.<at least the ones for sale around here are> I would like to have at least one bull and four or five cows. I have 15 acres fenced in so not sure if thats enough for that number of miniature cows so let me know.

BP

2. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Respectfully, without giving a general region of U.S. you live in and/ or average annual rainfall, noone can answer that correctly. For Example, where we are in Wisconsin, it takes 4 acres to support one Holstien cow, while in some areas 1 acre can support 2 Holstien cows.

3. brierpatch1974

brierpatch1974 Well-Known Member

hehe sorry I forgot that info. I live in Southern part of West Virginia. I have read that you need 5 acres for 2 head of large cattle so was thinking I could maybe keep 3 minis per 5 acres. The 15 acres I have is all grass with a small spring running through it year round.
    Maybe I should keep one bull and 2 cows sense I will need some room for the calves before they are butchered. Not sure what I should do. I do have 7 more acres next to this area that is wooded But I havent decided weather or not to clear this land yet.

BP