Some advice please...what did I mess up?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by ChickenMom, Aug 27, 2006.

1. ChickenMom

ChickenMom Well-Known Member

I have a second freshener doe that is part Alpine and part no one knows. Last year we left her kid on her until she weaned him. This year I decided to milk her. I have been milking her once a day (morning) for the last 3 months. 3 days ago we finished our buck pen so we put her whether in with the little buck (they are close to the same age). I figured since he was 3 months old he could be weaned. The next day I started milking twice a day and everything went well. Yesterday I milked morning and night and got about 2/3 the amount of milk. This morning I went out and her bag wasn't even tight, I got 1 1/2 cups milk, I usually get 4 cups or a little over. Could this be because I took the kid away, or was he already starting to wean and I only need to milk in the morning?

She eats grain, alfalfa pellets, a little corn, good hay, browse, and has fresh water, minerals and soda.

What am I doing wrong?

2. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

She's stressed out, and he probably has been gradually weaned off. You could try increasing her feed (primarily giving her all she wants of alfalfa hay) and milking her 3 times a day until her production picks up....if she is a decent milker she should increase somewhat. Also, are you getting ALL the milk out?

3. ChickenMom

This morning she wouldn't eat at all, I gave her some ProBios and vitamin B. She was eating browse but wouldn't eat grain this morning on the stand. I go back out at 7 to feed again, should I try to milk or just leave her till morning?

4. ChickenMom

I milked last night and got 2 cups, she did not eat her grain yesterday at all. This morning she has soft poo. This morning when I milked I got almost 2 cups. Her bag is about 1/3 the size it normally would be when I go out to milk and it is never tight anymore.
    What else can I do? We got rain here for the first time in about 3 or 4 months, should I worm her?

5. ChickenMom

I got some oats, barley, and corn and mixed this with alfalfa pellets and a little BOSS on top. She is eating some of it but not like she usually does. Her poops are atarting to get more solid again.
    Anything else???

6. GoatTalkr9

GoatTalkr9 Well-Known Member

When was the last time you wormed her,and with what?

7. ChickenMom

She was wormed with Ivermectin about 7 months ago.

8. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

Oh, she sounds like she's sick. What else is goign on with her? Has her diet changed at all? I would take in some of her fresh droppign in for a stool sample. I mean, you could just worm like crazy, but if it's cocci, worming won't help, and she might not be wormy at all anyway. Also offer her baking soda free choice.

9. GoatTalkr9

GoatTalkr9 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't push grain on her right now...hay is fine when she's feeling off. Have you checked her eyelids? Mine usually need wormed the day they kid AND a month later. I agree on the stool sample..and checking for cocci. Moms can get overrun with it too...been there done that. Di-Methox 40% was a Godsend. The stool softening,then firming up could be her getting wormy or having coccidia. You can see an improvement for a day or so,then it will start back ,but worse. She definitely has something more going on than just having her kid pulled off of her.

10. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I suggest taking her temperature and also giving her some Probios. Also check her milk for mastitis. One of my does was isolating and didn't come to grain a few weeks ago. I took her temp (high normal) then checked her milk (positive for mastitis on one half of the udder). After a day of treatment, she was back to her normal self.