solviva

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mamagoose, Dec 28, 2004.

1. mamagoose

mamagoose Well-Known Member

Has anyone read the book Solviva by Anna Edey? Is it worth purchasing?

2. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

Yes, yes, yes!! This woman definitely thinks outside the box. I read it and re-read it just for the pleasure. You'll find yourself looking around your place and going Hm-m-m-m-m. This is a book of far-out ideas which inspires other ideas.

You can probably find it used on Amazon or Half.com.

3. mamagoose

mamagoose Well-Known Member

Sandi,
    Thank you so much for your response!
    I read over her website and I think, why not? Although no way is perfect and fail-proof, I have a set belief that we do not have to be indebted to big business, utilities, etc. like the modern world currently does. I am now re-thinking my greenhouse plans. It's funny though, that a couple of years ago (before coming across any info like Ms. Edey's), I started thinking about all that heat generated by manure and thought I might try to house some bunnies in my dream greenhouse. I'm thinking a little bigger now! We currently use a PV system for our necessary electricity needs and natural gas for refrigeration, hot water and heating. I don't like relying on the natural gas, but we do have a storage well on our property with a "free" allotment, so for now at least, it works. We do have to trade in and replace the battery bank and this year was the 3rd set. Our house is quite modern as far as usage goes, but it was not built for passive heat or hot water heating. The PV system is mounted on a shed roof and we are now in our 14th winter. My, how time flies!
    Happy New Year to you!

4. cashcrop

cashcrop Well-Known Member

Mamagoose,

You sparked my interest. I looked at her website and found it interesting. I haad never considered passive solar as an aspect in designing a house. I picked up a book on passive solar. I'm also interested in learning why you go through batteries so quickly. What kind do you use?

Joel Salatin use chickens and rabbits as heat sources in a greenhouse I believe.

cashcrop