Solviva greenhouse plans

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sylvar, Sep 12, 2005.

1. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

Anybody out there ever seen the plans for the Solviva greenhouse? I am trying to figure out that whole "earth lung" thing. If you have the plans or the book what knowledge did you gain from it? I am concidering buy them, but am leary of getting burned. I much prefer to buy from a bookstore where I can SEE if the info will be useful before I purchase it.

Thanks!

Shane

2. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

3. HillsideHouse

HillsideHouse Well-Known Member

Hi Shane;
    I glanced thru the book while over a friends house a few years ago. If you are looking for a *how to* book, I really don't think this is it. It's more of wit, humor, her life, some inspiration, good words. There isn't anything wrong with the book but if you are looking for something hands on you might want to try *Solar Greenhouses Underground* by Daniel Geery (instructional! :)) This book is out of print, sometimes it gets pretty high in price +/- 75 but can often be found for under 20. I've read several books on the subject but this is one I keep returning to (to fill the plans in my head. *LOL*).
    Cheers!
    Victoria

4. CountryGoalie

CountryGoalie Well-Known Member

Forgive me the intrusion, but when I saw the subject-line, I did a double-take. My brain read it as "saliva greenhouse plans" when I was scanning down through. :rolleyes: Good luck on your venture.

5. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

I am guessing that means if I make a purchase it should be the actual plans not the book. It sounds very interesting. The thought of heating, even partly, a greenhouse with livestock (chickens and rabbits) appeals to my need for efficiency.

Shane

6. highlands

highlands Well-Known Member

7. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

Holy Cow! I just noticed the plans are $200. Has anyone actually seen them? Do the concepts seem sound? I can't drop that kind of cash on green house plans...that is a big chunk of my green house BUDGET!

Shane

8. highlands

highlands Well-Known Member

Personally, I would skip the plans if you have any skills and inclinations towards construction. Google the net for what you can on Solviva greenhouses, add in ideas from other designs, etc. $200 is rather excessive. There are many good books on greenhouse construction that will probably give you a lot more information than a set of plans will.

9. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

No Doubt about that....

The Earth Lung is essientially an ammonia scrubber, this much I know. I removes the ammonia from the air in the coop side as it moves to the greenhouse side.

Shane

10. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

Hmmm.... you ever noticed how the answer to a problem is right in front of you, but you don't see it until you talk out load about it. As I typed that last note I realized I had never actually searched on "ammonia scrubber". <Smacks hand to forehead)

I found some good stuff that lead me to some better stuff ....and some simple drawings! Now I am certain that the heat exchange takes place THROUGH the "Earth Lung" (AKA - Ammonia BioFilter). Now I just need to find the best way to move air through the thing. She never mentions fans....but that doesn't mean she didn't use them.

BTW- I do like your idea of bringing air in through a buried pipe. I might actually make it recirculate between the two sides.

Shane

11. smiffdog

smiffdog Member